Insulation Falling Down from ceiling

desjFebruary 21, 2006

When we moved in about 3 months ago, there were several areas that did not have insul, piled in a corner in basement. Since then more has fallen. Looks like a thin piece of metal holding up in some spots. Can I get this in HD? Or is there a better way to keep it up. I was thinking of using something??? that could be stapled up.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formulaross

Are the thin pieces of metal a springy wire? This is a common way to hold fiberglass batts up in place between floor joists, with the spring wire sprung as an arch between the joists. I can't remember the correct name for them right now, but someone will come along and post it. Yes, the big box stores sell them in boxes of a 100 or so. They usually hold quite well, maybe your joist spacing is a little wide and you need a wood shim tacked in place to give it more spring?

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 8:26AM
desj

Thanks
Just thought there was an alternate since this doesn't seem to be doing the job.
Maybe we have a problem? Been in house for 4 months (5 yr old home.)
I imagine the wood could expand and contract. Previous owners did -0- to care for this house.

Bookmark   February 22, 2006 at 6:27AM
wbralick

Yes, you can get them at the box store. Simpson makes some, and they're with their other metal framing products. They need to be about an inch longer than the span they're covering. I've used a bunch in my basement.

Bill

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Basement Plans Thoughts?
Hello, Planning to finishing my basement and hoping...
NYcRavi
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
mkrafczyk
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™