Builder suggested not putting AC in basement - your thoughts?

jengeorgesonFebruary 25, 2010

Our builder suggested saving the cost of putting AC in the basement since people rarely use it anyway. I've never had a basement and am wondering if this is true that you don't really use it down there. I would appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Where do you live, will the basement be heated?

If there are heat vents in a forced air system, then you have air conditioning vents too. If your climate is one with humid summers then have return inlets in the basement to circulate the air and remove humidity. You may still need a dehumidifier.

After you move in, come back and discuss finishing the basement with us. Once you do that, you will use it.

Good luck with the build.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 8:02AM
dedtired

I don't have AC in the basement and my basement gets cold when it's running. Of course the basement is below ground so it is naturally insulated. Also, cold air sinks, so it seems to work its way down there. I have forced air heat / AC and live in the Mid-Atlantic area.

The bigger problem is getting enough AC to the upstairs.

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 2:31PM
david_cary

Ok - I'll give a counter story. I have a daylight basement in NC and it gets about 84 in the summer. Lots of windows contribute to the heat gain. It isn't unbearable since it is dehumidified.

This is insulated but unfinished space. I have sealed it up a lot since then but I expect it will need a bit of a/c. But a non-daylight basement should be fine or one a bit north of here...

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 3:34PM
homebound

Our ac guy had the same suggestion but we installed a register in each room (3) anyway. It was getting very cold down there since it was on the same zone as the first floor so we now keep those registers closed. Still, the return probably helps to keep the humidity down. This is in the Northern VA/DC area. (Unit is in the basement, below grade.)

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 6:40PM
beer_geek

I'm outside of Atlanta. I have forced air. I installed a damper system for the basement to share with the first floor. AC isn't on very often down there but it has called for a lot of heat this year.

I personally feel basements should be on equal footing with the rest of the house. Even if *you* never use it, any potential buyer might wonder "where else did they cut corners?"

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™