basement finishing

blanche1951January 28, 2006

We have a rental home that we may move into at retirement. We were just getting it ready to rent and decided to take a look under the wall panelling in the basement and found that the only thing behind the panelling other than the wall studs is cement. Absolutely no moisture barrier or insulation. Is that what causes an unpleasant odor when entering the house? And I am also interested in the basement finishing system. Any ideas where to start? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cseyer

Basements vary in construction. Mine has the insulation and waterproofing on the exterior side of the concrete. You would need to determine exactly what you are dealing with here, is there any signs of moisture on the paneling? As far as the smell its impossible to speculate, is it musty like mildew? Hundreds of things can cause odors in a house everything from animals to cooking odors and of course mildew/mold. I would start with finding the source of the odor and work to resolve it. Its possible that a previous owner had pets and they used the carpet, then it would need replaced along with the pad and potentially even the subfloor.

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blanche1951

thanks and yes the smell is unusual. It very well could have been pets because the basement is very dry. We did have a leak in the laundry room that had been wet for a long time. It was plywood but it really stunk. We dried that out and now the renters are in. We will see if that corrects the problem.

Bookmark   January 30, 2006 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
New Home Build - window size for drywall?
Apologies if this has been asked before - can't seem...
lookintomyeyes83
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Ceiling insulation in basement
We are finishing our basement and I am getting to the...
mirandajae
Sponsored Products
Dayton Urban Stone Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
56 Inch Dual Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Leucos | Alias Wall Light
$247.50 | YLighting
Tolomeo Micro Lamp
Design Within Reach
Warehouse Black 16-Inch Outdoor Wall Light
$202.95 | Bellacor