basment heat

newbie21January 22, 2014

I have a 1250 square foot unfinished basement. One half used as rec area with pool table, dart board, etc. The other half has four atv, boat and various junk. The coldest the basement gets is 55, I would like to put a little heat down there, doesn't have to be 75. Just something to knock off the chill. My initial thought was vent free propane wall heater but have some concern about the safety of that. What is my best option?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

I have the same thoughts about unvented heaters. If you go that route for certain have a CO detector functioning.

As to heating the space, your foundation walls are, in effect, a heat sink. The basement remains at 55 degrees because that is ground temperature. Heat goes to cold, so without anything to insulate those exterior walls it will be difficult to make the space comfortable.

If you have the standard basement windows, cover them with plastic to better seal them. That will at least reduce some draft.

Our basement is finished and when the furnace runs it warms to house temperature. We installed an electric fireplace for auxiliary heat, generally needed spring/fall when the thermostat isn't calling for heat in the house.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 9:20AM
ermachef

fnmroberts--What kind of flooring do you have in your basement?

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 8:08AM
fnmroberts

ermachef - Just a vinyl 12 x 12 tile - with a not-slip surface. It is the self-stick type but I put down mastic because I didn't want that hollow sound where there are slight depressions in the concrete. No problems after about 8 years.

Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basement

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
How to re-do the stairs for my basement remodel
So I'm undergoing a simple remodel of a small basement....
phiwwy
Easier way to burst up concrete?
Since it seem I have to do some concrete busting work...
ravlegend
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™