smoke in my townhouse - not mine!!

coach4lizzyMay 5, 2006

Hello Everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has any information on a government agency that would help with my problem? I live in a 2 story townhome. I have cigarette smoke invading my unit from both sides of me. Both of the neighbors smoke heavily. The smokes comes from under the kitchen sink and the in the basement. Our basement is converted to a playroom for my three children and most of the time they cannot even use it. The other half of the basement is the laundry room. My clothes smell like smoke! I have written letters to the management company asking them to correct the problem and they refuse to fix the problem stating they are not a no smoking facility. I can appreciate the statement in the sense that people can smoke... I just dont want other peoples smoke in my unit!!! Can anyone help? Thank You! Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angel_037

I can't see how anyone can give you advice being that they have the right to smoke in there own place as long as it is allowable in which you said it is. I mean, unless they make it a smoke free building all together, then you're best bet is to get some kind of air cleaner or something. Maybe ask you're neighbors if they can go to a window or outside to smoke. Let them know that the smoke is entering you're home. Anyways, I am a smoker and I also know what it is like to be on the other side of not smoking too. Good Luck, Kim

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 3:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judi_e

Coach

Since they are allowed to smoke, there's nothing you can do to stop them. What needs to be done is your unit needs to be sealed off from theirs better. I don't know if you can force the management to do that. You might be able to, under the guise that it's there responsibility to maintain the property, and if smoke is travelling from one apartment to another then something is wrong. If not, there are products out there that can help, and they are pretty cheap.

Go to your local hardware or home improvement store and tell them you need something for filling in cracks inside your home. Explain the issue to them, they should be able to get you something like a spray foam to seal things up. Put that in any cracks you think the smoke is coming through. Put it around all of the pipes where they enter the cabinet under your sink. Find any cracks in the basement and fill them in. For a couple bucks and half an hour of your time you could have your townhome all sealed up and never smell your neighbors again.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Garage apartment floor plan review
We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach,...
cobbyw
Moth problem..Help please.....
Allright I have had a moth problem for about 5 maybe...
lucidmike
Stinky perfumey air freshener neighbors
This seems to be the forum for neighbor problems -...
kashka_kat
Noisy neighbor - am I being oversensitive?
Live in a townhouse next to people with two small kids...
hblotus95
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Sponsored Products
47 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Steve Silver Layla TV Console w/Mounting Bracket in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Robert Abbey Delta Lily 22 1/2" High Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Belize High Round Outdoor Side Table, Patio Furniture
$239.00 | FRONTGATE
Mizone Circuit 4-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com