Overnight Guests

fullmetal51May 9, 2006

Hello all,

Recently my landlord visited my apartment to fix something and he noticed that there was an air mattress on the floor of my room, with one of my friends in it. He finished what he had to do and left the apartment.

A little while later, he called my cell phone and asked who that friend was. I said it was just someone who was sleeping over for the night since I had to give him a ride somewhere in the morning. He went on to say that the lease specifically says that no one can live in the apartment besides those who signed the lease. I said that I do have overnight guests from time to time but no one else besides those on the lease that are living there. He persisted that no one should be staying overnight in the house besides anyone that signed and that I was violating the lease.

The lease does say I cannot sublet, etc. the apartment but it also says, "guests are welcome". There is nothing that specifically states that guests cannot sleep over. So my question is, where is the line drawn between living and visiting? I would like to have people stay over, perhaps even for a few days, without worrying about the landlord getting on my case. Also, what action could he take, and what would he need to do to prove that someone was living there?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nfllifer

I have taken quite a few classes for landlords and even taught a couple. The best way to determine those acutally living and those staying is if they get mail at that address. If they get mail and don't open it that doesn't count.

It's your right to have guests spend the night.

The easiest action for you landlord to take is just not renew your lease and be a total jerk the remainer of your lease.

Leagly he could try to evcit you. If you went to court you obviously would win. It can be a sticky situation. I would say this landlord has issues and perhaps you should start looking for a new place if you plan to keep on having visitors. OR perhaps you LL knows this visitor or has a bad impression on that particular person.

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 11:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

I wonder if there's a housing agency or housing lawyer who'd help you find documentation to show him.

Depending on his personality, and how you approach it (as an information gatherer and not a point maker), it might cool him down.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 4:13PM
More Discussions
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
pink_warm_mama_1
What is it with crazy people and parking spaces?
I live in an apartment otherwise known as the 'beehive'...
MassMitten
Bathroom decorating ideas
Hi! I just moved in to an older style apartment building,...
Apart-ster
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Apartment vs Individual home
Which one do all people likes to stay in an Apartment...
kushy28
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™