Drop ceiling

vegthiefJanuary 11, 2010

I've deciced on putting a drop ceiling in the basement rather than drywall as I may need to access the plumbing etc.I have never hung one and was wondering If its as easy as they say.(the how to sites).I am an experienced carpenter and If anyone has any tips I would surely appeciate them.The ceiling is 21'x 30.5.I am using 2'tiles and I have pleanty of headroom after it is susspended.Has any one installed a ceiling this size and about how long will it take to hang the grid.there is nothing in my way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobtheblindguy

I installed one last year in my basement. This was my first attempt at this.I also used 2' tiles.The salespeople at the store I puchased from were very heplful. I also found some online tutorials. My ceiling is about 20 x 25. It took me about 4 days. Most time comsuming part was trimming the edge of the tile that runs along the wall. Not only do you have to cut to size but also put a recessed edge on it so it seats properly in the grid. I used a lazer level to install the perimeter grid. NIce thing at the placed I bought from was you give em your ceiling size they feed it into the computor. And it gave me a diagram of the grid layout and how much and what size grid I needed. This was a good reference during the installation. Overall it was'nt as hard as I though it would be and it looks great.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™