Digging a stairwell to a basement

rfosterJanuary 24, 2007

I am looking for rough costs on digging a separate entrance to a basement.

I understand that costs can vary greatly, what I am trying to do is get an idea of whether it will cost me 10k or 50k, to see if the idea is even feasible.

If you have had a stairwell dug out or windows, could you give me an idea of what it cost, as well as any tips to finding a contractor?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Just digging? Or digging, build stairs (concrete including proper drainage), cut foundation wall for door, frame & install door? If the latter, perhaps 12k and counting, but can vary greatly.

Depends on how deep, type of wall you have, and what other add-on's (lighting, overhang, finished on basement side, ) . etc.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 8:53AM
bus_driver

Digging? I have been digging as necessary for 60 years and for such a small job, I would dig it by hand. The Chinese built runways for B29's by hand in WWII, using buckets for hauling materials.

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 7:29PM
rjoh878646

I would go with a basement stairway system that is precast.

Here is a link that might be useful: perm entry

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 3:21PM
worthy

In a cold climate, you will also have to excavate and underpin the existing foundation up to four feet further down and to the sides to prevent frost damage to the wall.

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 10:38PM
qdognj

i have had a quote to install a stairwell into a basement..It is necessary by code to have an egress out from basement prior to finishing it..Cost of 4600 dollars would be the excavating,cutting of wall, installing a set of precast concrete stairs and a bilco-type door..not included is an interior door at basement..stairwell is bolted into basement walls

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 8:12AM
calvin888

Hi,
I am also interested in excavating and installing double french doors including concrete foundation and stairs and drainage done correctly. Any idea what the cost and who to go to?
Thanks,
Calvin

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Walkout Basement in Texas
Greetings to all! I have a sloping lot on Lake Conroe...
ZipAgent
Str'l Wood Floor + CrwlSpace vs Concrete Slab
Hello, We were discussing our plans with a builder...
Naween
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™