is this legal?

cojo314April 4, 2007

I received my deposit back from a rental less a carpet cleaning and painting fee. Then 3 weeks later I received a bill from them for carpet damages. Shouldn't they have held my deposit and deducted the "carpet damages" from the intial deposit? I thought that once the deposit was returned our relationship is over. Is this legal? Who is right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolvt

I think you have to check on your individual state or city laws. One place I know of requires that the LL send a certified letter to the tenant within 14 days of the tenant leaving. The letter has to itemize the deductions. If the letter isn't done or is after 14 days, the LL is not entitled to keep any of the deposit regardless of claimed damages. Another State that I've dealt in has something similar, but gives the LL 30 days.
This was handled in a strange manner. I can see where initially they thought the rug just needed cleaning, but after trying to clean they found it was ruined.
I think they messed up. I mean you have the money and have the upper hand in a way, but if you need them for a future reference this will hurt that possibility. And, it's possible that it could end up on your credit report as money owed.
Try talking with them and see what you can work out. In the very least, if you damaged the carpet and they are charging you, you shouldn't also be charged for the cleaning if it's a carpet in the same room.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 8:56AM
patti43

I tend to think I'd ignore the letter but maybe you should first talk to them before spending more money on a lawyer. Might try to find out the laws in your state. It seems really strange that they gave you a partial deposit and now want more money. And I think it's their problem if they jumped the gun.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 5:58PM
socaldisneydude

This is another classic example of the landlord screwing you for your deposit. If you don't pay the bill, they can screw you over by reporting it on your credit report and you'll have trouble getting another place in the future.

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Share your condo townhouse noise experiences...
I would like to know from those of you who have lived...
Mia_
What is it with crazy people and parking spaces?
I live in an apartment otherwise known as the 'beehive'...
MassMitten
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Garage apartment floor plan review
We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach,...
cobbyw
3 mentally ill roommates and a baby, what to do?
I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with 2 other...
valiumplz
Sponsored Products
Leather Zip Around Binder Padfolio with Optional Monogramming - 301-BLACK-5
$350.00 | Hayneedle
MyOwnersBox Storage & Organizers College STACKITS Oregon State University 12
$19.99 | Home Depot
MyOwnersBox Storage & Organizers MLB STACKITS Arizona Diamondbacks 10 in. x 12
$19.99 | Home Depot
Jesper Office Professional Black Lacquer Filing Cabinet
Overstock.com
Winners Only Topaz 32 in. 2-Drawer Lateral File - Cinnamon - GT251
$592.00 | Hayneedle
Bush Enterprise Commercial 60 inch Double Pedestal Computer Desk with Optional H
$587.99 | Hayneedle
A-America Parsons Low Back Dining Side Chair - Espresso - Set of 2 - AAME054
$250.40 | Hayneedle
Buddy Products Literature Racks Wire Ware 5-Pocket Legal Size Literature Rack
$39.10 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™