Early Heywood Wakefield Dining set

kcannardFebruary 24, 2011

Hello, all. I have a circa 1920s-1930s Heywood Wakefield table and chairs. It's mission/arts & crafts style, not in the more famous mid-century modern H.W. style (but also not the later, largely less popular colonial style). Solid oak, round table with chunky pedestal column, a couple leaves, pretty typical mission-style chairs (6). My question -- I find it very odd that I can't find any others like this anywhere on the internet. Is that because there is no interest in non mid-mod Heywood Wakefield or because there are not many of them? It's from my husband's family, but they're thinking about selling it. The table is in pretty decent condition, but the chairs have been quite abused. Does anyone know if it has any value beyond its everyday utility as a table?

It's pretty similar to the one in this link and I do have pictures that I could post if it would actually be helpful.

http://philtaylorantiques.com/antiques/mission-oak-dining-table/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kterlep

Well, there's interest in pre-1937 HW WICKER but you're right, there's not much interest in pre-1937 HW wood furniture. Which is too bad because I'd rather have your table than that ....blonde bent stuff. :)

It's going to be hard to find pictures of anything that isn't a fashionable HW item. Sure, there are probably pictures of nice HW mahogany tables out there, but people don't know they're HW, because they don't bother to look for the HW tag, because it doesn't look like HW.

I think it's a pretty table. I am not certain but I think it would be valued on its aesthetic value alone.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
China Cup
Hi, I'm doing some research for my sister on a china...
niawomad
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™