Way to soundproof apartment floor? Pls. Help

kate_7April 14, 2007

Hey guys

A while back I posted a few messages about the a--hole who lives below me. Our lease states "minimum noise at ALL TIMES" and this guy blasts music so loud it shakes my floor and couch/table/etc. I constantly complained to the superintendents, who did nothing. Finally I filed a formal written complaint to the owner, who came to b-tch at me for writing the letter. He said the floors were expertly soundproofed with material not found in other apartments (what a lie).

Anyway, while the noise has decreased, the a--hole is still blasting music.

Unfortunately, I am in the lease til the end of August and I have been unable in finding a subletter, and cannot afford paying for 2 apts. at once...so...looks like I'm stuck for 4 more months. I'm trying to stay positive thinking, I've lasted 8 with this a--hole...but man has it taken a toll on my mental state...:(

ANYWAY, onto the point - is there any way that one could soundproof a floor using materials? I cannot rip up the carpet, but is there something we could layer over the floor - or many things - that would limit our hearing of the booming bass and vibrations?

Any suggestions at all? I'm open to ANYTHING. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

Call the police - you have a right to your 'reasonable enjoyment of peace" (or however the actual legal term is worded) and if the mgmt. won't help, maybe the police will.

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 2:03AM
dissident

yeesh. Too bad people have no sort of decency these days. You should not have a stereo system in an apartment any more then you should have a treadmill on a top floor. You want those things, buy a house.

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 12:15PM
talley_sue_nyc

You should not have a stereo system in an apartment

really?

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 12:35PM
dissident

nah that came out wrong and I was tired when I wrote it. What I meant was people should use a bit of common sense when they use loud items.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 6:30PM
marvelousmarvin

Try several heavy rugs. I don't know how much it would end up helping, but it would help somewhat and you could take those with you when you moved.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 10:31PM
bud_wi

Earplugs. Cheaper than making changes to your apartment and you won't hear a thing.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 4:06PM
kate_7

Now, see, the problem with earplugs - is that I want to LIVE in my apartment. I want to sit down and eat dinner and talk with my boyfriend and exist...not jam earplugs in my ear and be deaf to everything around me. I still want to watch TV, talk, hear the phone, oven timer, etc...
And just FYI, all the earplugs I've used have sucked at blocking out bass.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Bathroom decorating ideas
Hi! I just moved in to an older style apartment building,...
Apart-ster
fyi-spammer attack on gardenweb-don't click!
The spammers are out in full force today. Do not click...
dreamgarden
Feeling Harassed by Downstairs Neighbors
My boyfriend and I moved into an older apartment complex...
storybrook
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™