Advice about a complicated unit situation...

psyscholarApril 10, 2010

This will be a little difficult to explain, but I will try my best.

#1. The unit we occupy, 1 of 2 in the building, is a 4 bedroom 3 bath split level. The master bedroom and 1 of 3 bedrooms is located on the ground level. (this is my living area, bedroom and study for school work and office.) On this level is also the garage. There is a door that separate the garage from my living area and a hall of approx. 5ft. The issue that I am having is this. The garage is being used by the upstairs neighbor to store his motorcycles along with various other belongings of his. He has now decided to start to use the garage as a "workshop" and this creates a lot of noise and mess that comes into the unit. I have addressed the problem and he says that he owns 1/2 of the garage and can do what he wants in there.

Is there a privacy issue here? I think since there is direct access into this unit, it is like me going up to his back door and deciding that I am going to start cutting wood or hammering and building things. I am thinking of going to the city and checking into my options on what I can do.

Besides that, does anyone know of a good reference for looking up city codes regarding matters of areas of a rental unit and who can have access and to what.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonshadow

Tricky.
I'd probably research local code first.

If you're in a town, your town's Code Enforcer should be able to assist and give you copies or ordinances (I have copies for each town we have a rental in).

Larger metro area, I'm not sure. You can try googling it or checking the government center web site of your city. Or drop into a local city hall and ask from there.

If neighbor is a tenant, he doesn't "own" anything. If he's permitted garage access, he's only leasing that space. I'm pretty tired, so haven't put a lot of thought into this, but you do have some valid issues. (Your right to quiet enjoyment, for one.) You say you've addressed it, but have you taken it up with the LL/owner?

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Quiet Hours???? HELP!
What exactly constitutes being quiet during quiet hours? This...
MaryCR
Garage apartment floor plan review
We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach,...
cobbyw
Bathroom decorating ideas
Hi! I just moved in to an older style apartment building,...
Apart-ster
What is it with crazy people and parking spaces?
I live in an apartment otherwise known as the 'beehive'...
MassMitten
Apartment Owners from H**L
We live in the east in a gated apartment complex owned...
pink_warm_mama_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™