Is it possible to soundproof against bass?

zapatistaApril 9, 2011

I recently purchased a townhouse. It is between two other units, and is separated on either side by a single cinderblock wall. Even with this and the drywall, I can hear bass sounds traveling through from a television or a stereo. It isn't excessively loud, but it is bass. What can I do to my walls to help prevent this noise from coming through, even a little bit? Is it possible? Please do not tell me to speak to the neighbors, because that is not the question here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westvillager

Yes, you can minimize even low bass but it's not likely a DIY option. We investigated general soundproofing during our last remodel about 3 years ago and it was rather extensive: must include walls, floors and, in some instances, ceilings! Adding 5-7" to the thickness. In a few areas of the apt, it was actually a fire code violation. Doing one or two walls, though, may cut it enough to be a good value for you (improve resell?). Our A/V guy gave us a few companies where we live. If there's a good music shop or independent electronics store near you, might be a good place to start. I admit I've not kept up on the technology. It might be easier than it was even then.

It seems to be about creating an absorbing cushion between the offensive vibration and the conductive shared surface. Moving a stereo off the floor or TV from against a wall will help. I think they make a product like a coaster for underneath speakers. Of course, that would require you to talk to the neighbor.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 6:58AM
More Discussions
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Help with reducing noise
I live in a second floor apartment with my 5 year old...
erin277
Feeling Harassed by Downstairs Neighbors
My boyfriend and I moved into an older apartment complex...
storybrook
Does anyone actually like living in an apartment?
In addition to the noise I've just posted about, another...
alllen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™