curious about urn

blufishFebruary 16, 2010

hi I bought this at an auction last year. It's just over 3 feet tall and is made of some kind of metal. Its covered in embossed images of Achilles, Leonidas, the Parthenon and others. The images are added to the body, not imprinted into it. The only marking on the bottom is "handmade in greece" in white hand lettering. I don't think its old & probably not made in Greece but I've given it to a family member & would like to include a bit of information if I can find some. I think the copper is painted onto tin. Any observations are very welcome!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweeby

Why do you think it was not made in Greece?

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 4:41PM
mahatmacat1

I would suspect it is a tourist piece--there is a huge tourist craft industry there--and that's why the "HAND MADE IN GREECE" is written in English. Maybe from the immediate postwar (WWII) period, when the US was mad for European high culture?

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 7:25PM
blufish

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I guess I just thought that anyone could hand write on something & I wondered if the printing was just added to make it more interesting at the auction. A tourist piece makes sense flyleft, thanks for posting!

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
mikerond
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™