Antique Stove Questions

bottman5684February 9, 2013

I was not sure if I should post this in appliances or antiques. I have an antique gas kitchen stove, probably from the early 30's, manufacturer unknown. The thermostat does not work and I was wondering if there is a standard way to fix or at least diagnose old thermostats. Anyone have experience in this arena?

Thanks,

Tobin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

I presume you are referring to the temperature control for the oven. Can you tell us more? Does it not work at all with no gas to the burner, or is just out of calibration?

If it needs calibration, pull the knob off. Does it have a hollow shaft? If so, there is probably a calibation screw inside and at the bottom of this shaft. It is accessed by a small, flat blade screwdriver. Turning this screw adjusts the set point of the control. It takes some fiddling and time and an oven thermometer to get it adjusted. Temperature lag due to thermal mass increases the difficulty.

If the control does no control and allows the flame to burn all the time, it is dangerous becasue it can overheat the oven. It should be replaced or the gas supply to that burner disabled.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Are garage sales a thing of the past?
Years ago when my mom and I had garage sales, our yard...
debodun
Help with print
Have some one seen this name on artwork or know of...
Dones
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Radio /turntable
Hi, I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know...
koolkat62
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™