1/2 Bath - Laundry or Basement?
I commend anyone who takes the time to read this! I am having a hard time determining which way to go.
1) Add a 1/2 bath to my existing 1st floor laundry room
2) Complete a basement remodel
The house stats:
3 bedroom, 2 bath
Master bed on 1st floor
2nd and 3rd bed on 2nd floor
Master bath is dual entry so it serves the first floor as well
2nd bath is on 2nd floor so it serves bed 2 and 3
Project 1 Details:
I can stack the dryer on the washer and make room for a toilet and pedestal sink.
Cost about $5,000
- Laundry shares space with bath.
- Dryer stacked on washer
- Tight space, need to turn sideways to get by the washer/dryer to get to the sink. Toilet has enough room
- 1st floor now has a 1/2 bath for guests (or kids)
- Master bath can be walled off so its a true master bath vs. dual entry
- Now have the room to add a 2nd vanity in the master bath. There is current only room for 1 sink
Project 2 Details:
Basement remodel. Will add 1/2 bath, will have flooring, drywall and ceiling. One area will act as a media room/play area/office area. The other room with be a work out space. Cost is $10,000.
- High cost, no funds to do project 1
- Only useful if you have 2 or more kids
- Is a usable space now, but still looks like a basement
- More space to spread out for larger family
So the question...if you can only choose one, what would yield the best ROI? What makes more sense?