Plans to Finish Basement - Preventing Future Moisure Problem Tips

dreamywhiteJanuary 31, 2013

We build a new home a couple years back and since then we have had no water problems or anything in the basement. Moisture yes along with most basements and we run dehumidifiers like we should. Question is .. we want to finish part of the basement for a rec room and we want to do it correctly to prevent any future moisture or mold from growing in the walls etc. What is the proper way to frame up a wall with insulation and vapor barrier, what is the right kind of insulation to be using? Has anyone painted their basement walls with moisture preventing paint prior to framing up their walls? We are not interested in any fancy wall systems we want to do things the old fashioned way while making sure the way we use insulation and vapor barriers is done correctly. Looking for your good solid advise please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

In a nutshell:

*save your money and don't bother with the so-called moisture preventing paints

*use foam against the basement wall--extruded polystyrene, expanded polystyrene, isocyanurate. If your budget is big, closed cell spray foam by a professional applicator.

*light steel or wood framing on top of a strip of extruded polystyrene.

*depending on your climate, add more board between the studs or use fibrous insulation.

At the rim, cut foamboards and use between the joists, caulk and foam to make airtight. NO FIBERGLASS.

No vapour barrier needed.

For further details, see the linked material below.

Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp. on Basements

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 12:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
koszta_kid

Also check the outside to make sure roof water is draining away from house.And tiled away.Have seen houses on (((very)) steep hills. And gutters not proper-$$$$$ damage

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Adding toilet to basement
We are adding a half bath to our basement when we start...
Seamer1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™