Water Infiltrating Dirt Crawl Space

sequoia_2007January 2, 2008

What is the best material to fill vertical cavities in a stem wall footing that were left by forming stakes used to pour the stem wall 25 years ago? I have 5 such openings along a 20 foot section of stem wall that were the conduit for an enormous amount of water that entered from an adjoining townhouse recently. My crawl space is a few inches lower than the adjoining crawl space and the water from the flooded adjacent crawl space just fountained up into our crawl space. These cavities measure 1" x 4" and are anywhere from 12" to 18" deep. I was going to use a product like QUIKRETE - Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement since it is not supposed to shrink and will stop water, but I was wondering if there were any newer products that would do a better job.

Also, in addition to another water infiltration source, I suspect the aforementioned source has been flooding our dirt crawl space for several seasons and may have something to do with the large crack in the adjoining stem wall. What would be a good product to fill this vertical crack?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Polyurethane or chemical grout injection should handle cracks. Hydraulic cement may slow the water flow. But as long as your neighbour figures your crawl space is his sump, it's going to be a problem.

That footing looks pretty flaky.

Too bad no one picked up on the water problems when you bought your unit.

    Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 12:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I will check out the polyurethane kits from Emecole for the vertical crack. For the cavities left by the forming stakes I decided the hydraulic cement would not meet my requirements because I need a product that will flow and not set up so quickly. I called Quikrete and they think their Sand/Topping Mix combined with their Concrete Acrylic Fortifier is my best choice.

Regarding the footing, I believe they are trench footings and what you see on the surface is just over pour. If I dug down a little lower I would probably find the footing, but it would not look very pretty.

We have very heavy rains starting tomorrow that will last 5 days and I finally got the attention of the HOA management company and they installed a berm with leaders to carry the storm water away from the foundations. I also had them fix the downspout that was the main source of the storm water that infiltrated 4 properties. Hopefully we can get through this storm without flooding again.

Thanks for your suggestions.


    Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 3:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If water is infiltrating into your crawl space, you are going to want to install a drainage system and vapor barrier. Call your local crawlspace company, or visit http://www.unitedcrawl.com/ for more information!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unitedcrawl

    Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 11:44PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
Mysterious Concrete Box in Basement
I am considering placing an offer on a house (built...
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
Spray foam basement band joists
I just had an energy audit and one thing they recommended...
Sponsored Products
Natural Burlap Table Lamp Shade
Cost Plus World Market
Florence Knoll Style Armchair-Blue Tweed
IFN Modern
Misty Morning Tumbler in Gray - Set of 2
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Fleur de Lis 40-inch Medallion
Wire Twist Antique Silver 48-inch to 86-inch Ceiling Mount Curtain Rod
$27.95 | Bellacor
Lippa Dining Side Chair Set of 4 in Black
$649.00 | LexMod
Hudson Valley Girard Polished Nickel Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Swirl 1 Pendant by Le Klint
$612.60 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™