identify old vanity

kittehFebruary 10, 2013

I'm not that good with furniture but I would like to know at least when this was probably made - even better a complete lesson if you can tell from the pictures. It did have a mirror that was fairy round too, not sure if it was original, but it was going to cost additional and I wanted this for a desk anyway.

It looks like it was originally pale pink before the white, and there was a little star with what maybe was an '8' on the casters but it didn't appear in the picture.

The only screw I saw is that inside a drawer (the other handles were inside the drawer) - the wood grain picture is from a drawer as are the dovetails, which confuse me since the straight ones look machine made but the others don't look uniform. The little upper drawers are not connected to the main part, and one was repaired on the front - the part that is not painted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

This looks like a '20s or '30s piece to me. Can you tell if the wood was originally varnished/lacquered, or always painted? Sometimes these pieces were meant to be painted and were made from a mix of wood varieties, so they are difficult to redo in a natural finish

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 8:29PM
kitteh

I think maybe there was laquer as the main outer pieces were darker and smooth, but it looks removed or something from one drawer (the groove is not as deep in that drawer as the other too). the desk other than that is like the darker bit on the top.

This post was edited by kitteh on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 8:48

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 8:44AM
jemdandy

You might get a clue from the caster. The wheel may be formed from two pieces of pressed steel and mounted back-to-back.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 2:59AM
More Discussions
Help identifying Bowl
I have had this Bowl for some time, i can't seem to...
Dones
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
China Cup
Hi, I'm doing some research for my sister on a china...
niawomad
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
Any Idea what this item could be?
Simply put I have zero idea what this could be, It...
mikerond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™