does this little area need to 'breath'

andrelaplume2January 18, 2010

I have been insulating my basement with XPS. The other day, at the foot of my stairs, while on a ladder I felt a bad draft coming from the area directly above the stairway landing. I pulled back the fg insulation and saw this little cubby area. I realized this was the area directly below the entry closet above. I then reach over and down and felt concrete and realized this must be part of the bump out in my garage where the closet is. This cubby was the space under the closet but over the concrete garage floorÂI think! Well I xpsÂd the area in the basement off and the draft is gone. Now I am wondering if that was a good idea. Does this area need to breath? Will moisture come up thru the concrete and have no where to goÂie cause mold. Might the area nw just Âbreath into the garage? Should I maybe drill a few pilot holes in the drywall in the garage to let it breath? Or is it ok just leaving it xpsÂd off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

The perm rate of XPS is approximately 1.1, so it does not trap moisture. Instead, moisture passes through very slowly. Leave the XPS in place.

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 8:57AM
andrelaplume2

I just was not sure if it left enough go thru. So, since it lets the moisture go thru...am I in trouble where I affixed my drywall directly to the slotted 1.5" XPS...with no vapour barrier between the 2? I do not recall seeing one necesary on site instructions for installed the XPS?

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 10:35AM
worthy

No vapour barrier is necessary.

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
want to finish basement but very humid...
Have an unfinished basement. House built 2012. During...
nadine33
Ductwork through joist question
Hi, I know this is possibly controversial...I understand...
NYcRavi
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Which drywall to use in the basement?
Hi, I am finishing a basement that is under the attached...
Vesh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™