basement carpet

ermachefJanuary 12, 2014

We have a 3 year old home with no water problems and excellent exterior grading. We want to install carpet on the concrete that will hold up well with entertaining, children, etc., yet not break the bank. The basement is a walk-out. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

See previous GW thread.

I'd add that in new homes with 5" of gravel and 4-5" of concrete, I've had good experience with glue-down low-pile synthetic carpeting with no underpads. Lots of dehumidification, year round if necessary. For maximum protection, I'd suggest Delta FL (or equivalent) followed by plywood.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 11:12

Bookmark   January 12, 2014 at 11:10AM
starraffy

Even upper rooms have moisture in the air.what more with the basement? Sometimes the source isn't always what you initially think. dryer will dry up humidity level in basement

Even if you don't think you have moisture problem in your basement, a dehumidifier is a good idea.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 11:13PM
worthy

Basements have more moisture than abovegrade space for a variety of reasons, including: moisture drive, which always goes from areas of more pressure to less pressure, and from warm to cold; rising damp going upward through the footings and concrete floor; condensation on cold basement walls; and the movement of bulk water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moisture Sources in a Basement

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 7:06PM
starraffy

i don't agree with carpets in the basement as it usually moist down there to compare with upper rooms.. but you can still have carpets provided the heating system in your basement is good or use a dehumidifier to lessen the moist and avoid molds.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Electrician on his way...
OK, we are in the beginning stages of wiring - and...
3ilovepie
making the crawl space more useful?
My house has a (vented) crawl space between 2 and 3'...
gigelus2k13
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
Replacing Steel Column With Stud Wall?
I am interested in replacing a steel column with a...
atv_freak
Walk-out basement design
Building a house in western Massachusetts -- it will...
Artemis_MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™