Question about plumbing for basement sink

jbatsJanuary 19, 2007

We are starting our basement and for one area we want to add a bar. We really would like to have a sink but the person doing most of the work says we would have to have a drain in the concrete for this to work. I was under the impression that we would just work off the plumbing from the kitchen above. Can someone tell me which is correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Thnik of gravity. Water only goes down. Unless your kitchen waste falls through piping which you can intercept at a point LOWER than the one you are planning for the basement, your friend is correct.

Do you have an ejector pump in your basement? If so, you might be able to run piping around the perimeter to meet up with it. That would save cutting your concrete floor. Ours runs on the peremiter walls. A diagram of our basement is posted at "My Page". Though it does not specifically indicate plumbing, I believe you can get the idea. Only need to drop 1/8" per foot of run, so you can carry the waste a long distance.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 7:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Code requires all pipes 3" or less in diameter to be run with a 1/4" per foot pitch.

Under some circumstances a 3" line may be run with a 1/8" per foot pitch with the expressed written consent of the inspecting authority.

Ref: International Residential Code 3005.3 & Uniform Plumbing Code 708.0

Bookmark   January 24, 2007 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Basement tile grout sweating
Hi Experts, We have a new house (1 year old, Hamilton,...
Joe Regular
basement flooring - tile or finished concrete
we're planning a reno that will include expanding and...
lmgch
What to do with old cistern room?
The house I'm buying has a weird feature. There's a...
demeterchaos
Flooring System over a basement
In my current house we used 16-18" deep floor...
AZN8TIV
water seeping through floor?
I have a finished walk out basement. After several...
abbey_cny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™