lamp shade question

oldcraftyFebruary 18, 2013

I have never posted in this forum before. I post on garden junk and someone there suggested I ask here. I was putting together this mushroom that I planned on putting in my garden and was told there may be too much value in this shade to do that. I purchased it at a garage sale and threw away all the actual lamp parts because I only planned to use the shade. It is 21 inches in diameter and was a hanging lamp. No markings of any kind on shade as to who made it. I have in the past few days been offered $100.00 for the shade and am wondering if anyone in this forum has any input to help me know what I've got and if indeed that price is reasonable.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Double clicking the pic will enlarge it

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bspofford

This pattern is referred to as Dragonfly, for obvious reasons. I looked in my book "Tiffany - Color and Light" to compare an illuminated lampshade with your shade. It appears to follow the original very closely in the placement of the oval cabochon-shaped pieces placed in the pinky glass area.

Is it a Tiffany? I don't think so. Tiffany glass pieces usually have more variations in the glass. For example, the green glass above the pinky glass would have more colors of green and brown in each cut piece. On the other hand.....and without seeing the original base....who knows...

One can purchase very close patterns of some Tiffany pieces and fabricate a shade. The dragonfly is available also as a 'fitting'. There are a lot of cheap imports available that vary in following the original depending on the price.

There are numerous shades of this design on e-bay. One that appears to be the same as yours is about
$125.00 You are the one to decide how much you want to put into the garden.

One thought....as a glass lover, the beauty of this lamp is only truly shown when there is a light source inside the shade. I would encourage you to put some kind of light inside if it goes into the garden, and that would be stunning!!

Barbara

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Vintage oil painting
I need help with name on oil painting, I think it's...
Dones
Wood antique furniture one chest of drawers .
Trying to remove the grit coat off of the stain without...
Hanna
Are garage sales a thing of the past?
Years ago when my mom and I had garage sales, our yard...
debodun
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™