Japanese Porcelain ID

stumpy041486February 10, 2011

Can anyone ID these? How old are they? Do they have any value?

Thanks

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/stumpy041486/IMG_1910.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

The First cup and saucer marks are so blurry I can't ID it....but the bottom pieces are all what was collectively known as Geisha Ware.
The site linked below should allow you to ID the backstamps and get a name and age on them.
And yes, they have value.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese porcelain marks

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 1:05PM
stumpy041486

Thanks for the reply. I have already looked on that website, but I couldn't find anything. Is this image any better?

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 1:54PM
lindac

Well, it has the characters for nichi hon...on there...meaning Nippon...but I don't know the rest.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 2:25PM
lindac

And I believe the red mark is the Kutani mark...

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 2:29PM
annie1971

Due some online research of 1000 faces china pieces. There are a number of pieces that fall into that category; your first cup/saucer might be one of them. I have two cups/saucers that are different from yours, but sadly, they are packed away awaiting a better display cabinet, so I can't check the back stamp. Mine are circa 1880's. Yours would definitely have value if in excellent condition.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 8:44PM
lindac

Thousand faces is a pattern...a theme that was used by many porcelain makers, Kutani and Noritaki among some. The first cup and saucer is not the "usual" thousand faces in that it has different looking faces and not the usual brightly colored bands/stripes representing the kimonos....but I would sure call it thousand faces pattern.
The kutani mark was on one of the Geisha ware sets.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 9:26PM
annie1971

lindac: you're right in that the first cup and saucer is not the "usual" thousand faces that I am familiar with in that is has different looking faces; I know that there are many patterns claiming the thousand faces -- I'm feeling an urge to open up those boxes of my tea cups to find my thousand faces pieces and admire them again. (I did not know that the colored bands/stripes represented kimonos) -- such good info. At any rate I think there is a good reason for stumpy to pursue the 1000 faces theme.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 11:32PM
Oakes

i have a vase with the marking. I been looking for days and got no where please help..

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 11:39PM
Oakes

here the vase

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 11:48PM
chefjas1960

Stumpy or anyone!
Stumpy's pics 6 and 8 match the 1,000 Face marks on some cups and saucers I have. I went through the Gotheborg site and was unable to find these marks. I have some dinner plates with a different mark then I have some unusual tea cups that sit on a plate that holds food next to it as well as small sake or spice bowls. The small bowls and unusual tea cup/ap plates just say, "Made in Japan". Any help identifying would be great! My Grandparents bought this stuff in the 20's while living in Panama.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 4:11PM
chefjas1960

dinner plate mark

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 4:13PM
chefjas1960

This is the mark on the saucer. Although it is worn, it appears to be the same as Stumpy's in pic 6 and 8. Did we find the maker?

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Help Identifying Cushman Furniture
I have a small Cushman cabinet, it appears that it...
cpannetti
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Haviland France Limoge Covered Veg. Bowl
I have a lovely Haviland veggie bowl here but I can't...
Llweyn
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™