My latest garage sale find...

oldstuff4meFebruary 15, 2012

I bought it at a garage sale for $20!!! I see them in stores for $250 and on craigslist for $100... so I'm thrilled about the deal! :)

The orginal milk glass is still intact (hidden by the shade) and it has a lot of patina from top to bottom.

Any ideas on it's age and whether that shade is original? I don't care much for the shade and would like to find a different one... maybe something in beige or cream silk/satin. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

1940 to 60......and no the shade is not original......would have long ago worn out.
You can still get those milk glass diffusers.....so it may not be original....but does it matter?
Does it have a switch on the side that allows you tu turn on the center bulb or the side ones or all of them? does it take a 3 way bulb?

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 11:10AM
oldstuff4me

Yes, there are 2 switches. One that turns on the 3 candle bulbs and one that turns on the big one in the centre. (yes it's a tri-light) And when I say big.. I mean BIG. The bulb is shaped like a normal bulb, but it's way bigger.

As far as the milk glass goes... Based on the people who sold it to me, I'm going to assume it's orginal. They don't seem like the type of people who would have appreciated the lamp enough to buy a replacement shade. I think if it had broken, they'd have just replaced the lamp with something more contemporary.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 11:40AM
lindac

Does the big bulb have a mogul base? may be hard to find.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 12:08PM
calliope

Sounds like your large light in the middle is a mogul base. You can still get them, but they're getting harder to find. I can't see a switch on the bottom, so assume it does not have the night light. Many in that time-frame did, especially if it had that onyx insert on the base. It would have a small switch on the base. I agree with Linda this one looks forties up to mid fifties.

I don't know about the shade. So many of them were covered in a plastic film many people left on the shades to protect them from dust, it may be original, but most of the old ones had scorch marks where heat from the incandescent lights left their mark. I also suspect it may be a replacement somewhere down the line, albeit a retro one. The shallow-depth cylinder style (mid century modern) shade starts to become more common by mid-fifties, as opposed to the inverted vase-shape and is not so often seen in this more traditonally styled lamp.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 12:14PM
sombreuil_mongrel

You can get Mogul base 3-way bulbs online.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: bulbs

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 5:49PM
oldstuff4me

Yes, it's a mogul base... I found them at Home Depot. I might stock up on a bunch just incase they stop carrying them.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 11:04PM
carelljones

many garage lamps are found in places nearest to you yuo can reach through web rite

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 7:18AM
Marvin Forssander-Baird

Ah, mogul base bulbs. I had almost forgotten about them. Incidentally, they do manufacture CFLs with mogul bases as well as an adapter that allows you to use a normal Edison bulb instead. They are easy to find through an internet search.

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
markwingalls
Antique/Retro Fridge Loud Vibration noise
My retro 1946 Frigidaire fridge started making very...
Tina Jansen
Help Glassware/Stemware Experts
Please help....do any glassware experts out there know...
lbachara11
Sponsored Products
White Battery-Powered Motion-Activated LED Anywhere Light
$44.91 | Lamps Plus
Emerald Home Ashland Splat Back Arm Chair - Set of 2 - EMER766
$439.98 | Hayneedle
Genie ChainMax 1000 3/4 HP Chain Drive Garage Door Opener - 37280U
$189.00 | Hayneedle
Lithonia Lighting Ceiling Mounted Lighting 4 ft. Fluorescent Wraparound Lens
$57.74 | Home Depot
Mounted Garage Racks & Shelving: LocHook Garage Storage 2-1/4 in. Curved 2 in.
$8.60 | Home Depot
Garage Flooring Accessories: G-Floor Garage Flooring Industrial Grade Polyvinyl
$2.10 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™