Protecting oversized 1809 letter?

jlc102482February 21, 2013

I have recently come into possession of a letter written in 1809. It had been in a basement for many years, folded up and stored in a metal box. The paper it's written on is quite thick but the letter has been damaged along the folds. It's a very large sheet of paper, maybe 22" square or so. I'd like to put it in a plastic protective sleeve so it can be stored unfolded and also so that it can be read, but I can't seem to find any that are large enough. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

I have a collection of antique maps and I'm thinking the covers I use should do the trick for your needs. What a fun find.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Map protective covers

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 9:42AM
jlc102482

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much.

The letter was a fun find, although the content made me laugh. It's a letter by a son to his mother, and it vacillates between son telling mother how work is going, and how he hopes she is still wearing flannel. There are seriously 3-4 paragraphs touting the wonders of flannel, and the letter closes with 3-4 more paragraphs quoted from some physician's text of the day (I forget the doctor's name) who was clearly also a huge flannel fan.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 4:35PM
Fori is not pleased

Maybe what you need is some sort of archival frame so you can display it!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 7:36PM
jemdandy

Not all clear plastic sheaves are safe for archival storage of paper based documents. I've seen polypropylene rated for archival sheet protectors. Make sure that the material is rated for archival storage and non-sticking.

I recently bought a package of sheet protectors for genealogical storage. Sheet protectors are available up to legal size (8.5 in X 14 in)

I have the same problem that you have. I've got an original Captain's Muster Roll for the Black Hawk War, 1832. It is a printed form on a double wide legal size sheet. All entries are handwritten. There are faint notes on it that must have been made during the campaign and that adds evidence this document was carried by the Captain during the pursuit of Black Hawk's Band.

This document is falling apart and needs serious protection. It has lead a harsh life.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying this lamp.
Please see the picture below. The lamp was originally...
Chuck Wert
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
Help Identifying Cushman Furniture
I have a small Cushman cabinet, it appears that it...
cpannetti
walnut panel
Hi Everyone, I bought this 30" piece at an auction...
sam_md
Need history of "Lister Woodcraft"
Trying to determine if this wooden candlestick is really...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™