Drilling a hole into an old glazed pottery planter

javaandjazzFebruary 21, 2012

I have several of the same brush mccoy art nouveau planter pots with no drain hole in the bottom. Currently I have a plastic pot inside them with the plant in the plastic pot. I am curious to try and get a drill made for tile and glazed pieces and drill a drain hole into the bottom. Have any of you tried that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can get drill bits for things like that, Lowes theyll help you

    Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 8:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Don't..... the chance of cracking even with a variable speed drill is large.....and why do you want a hole in the bottom? so you can put a saucer under it to catch the run off?
The plastic pot inside is the best solution, then you can lift the plastic pot out and drain if you over water.
Linda C

    Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 9:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I also flinched when I read it. Linda is right. Don't modify those pots. They aren't dreadfully valuable yet, but shall to continue to increase in value. The hole will impact that down the line, not to mention the possibility of fracturing them.

I also lift my interior pots out to water, leave them out to drain and replace them into the ceramic outside pots. If you are still concerned about water sitting (perhaps large or heavy plants in them) you can take a shallow saucer and invert it to raise the inside pot up so it won't be sitting in drainage.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 12:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

ok, I have thought about it over the years but you all convinced me not too, so I won't! I think I will just out some stones in the bottom to lift the pots up a bit. Thanks!

    Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 3:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Stones, an upside down plastic food storage container a tuna can or 2....whatever it takes to get the pot rim where you want it and to leave some drainage room in the bottom.

    Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Styrofoam cut to shape as needed makes a nice lightweight riser. Any craft, fabric or dollar store usually has the small styrofoam blocks or circles. I use that in some antique pieces that I don't want to ruin. (Not the super fine florist's foam, if any moisture seeps into it by some fluke the florist's foam will hold it and get nasty.)

    Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 7:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

But just for the record, what you want for such a job is a masonry drill bit, and I think you are supposed to use them with water. I have drilled holes into a couple of pretty thick outdoor pots (before I thought of the water) and they survived just fine - but it is a slow process. I am about to try with a pottery plate (to make a clock out of it) but I won't mind if it doesn't survive the process (my neighbour made it and I can always get another from her). I wouldn't recommend it if you are not keen to lose the piece.

You could always use these pots for something other than plants, and put your plants into a proper pot with holes....

Karin L

    Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 5:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've used the drill method karinl mentions for outdoor pots as well. Making a cross or star of electrical tape centered over the spot to be drilled is supposed to help prevent cracking, chipping, etc at the drill spot. I still wouldn't drill into old pottery, but that's just me.

    Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:12AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™