Kitchen Floor

melkingMarch 2, 2005

I have lived in an apartment for 3 years now, and am about to renew my lease. Overall the apartment is in good shape, however, the vinyl flooring is really old and scratched up and looks dirty all the time even when it's not. My landlord won't pay for any updates to the apartment. Any ideas on how I can improve the look at minimal cost?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
talley_sue_nyc

if that flooring stuck down really well? If so, you could tile right over it w/ Trafficmaster tiles ($1 per square foot)--I hear it's easy and looks great.

Of course your landlord would have to approve--would he let you do it, if you paid for it?

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 4:40PM
marie26

In my last apartment, the vinyl or linoleum floor in the kitchen and laundry room had rips in it. So, maintenance laid another design of square tiles over it. Except for the odd corner (which I don't think was cut to fit properly), you'd never know that there was another layer of vinyl/linoleum underneath it.

Bookmark   March 4, 2005 at 12:18AM
Jonesy

My sister is going to lay some tile in her home, that can be taken up and moved with you when you move. It's not suppose to harm the floor. I had not heard of that, but it is suppose to work. You might check it out at your local home improvement store.

Bookmark   March 4, 2005 at 7:45PM
lcw1947

you can lay tongue and grouve floating floors. There is a moisture barrier that you put between it and the previous floor. It is NOT screwed, glued or nailed down. It simply floats. It can also be put over carpet. They are beautiful and almost work free and can be picked up and taken with you when you move.
Linda

Bookmark   March 5, 2005 at 7:13AM
joann23456

Laminate, real linoleum (not vinyl), cork, engineered wood - all come as floating floors. I have heard that in Europe, people often take the floors when they move, along with kitchen cabinets.

Bookmark   March 6, 2005 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
What is it with crazy people and parking spaces?
I live in an apartment otherwise known as the 'beehive'...
MassMitten
Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?
I am a university student in a small city. I live in...
lexichay
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™