old/ antique looking lamp

lisamarie1January 25, 2012

I have a pale yellow glass table lamp. it has bronze supporting ring and base. It looks old, and has a rose pattern etched into the shade and base. It lights at the base and under the shade. The supporting ring holding the shade up is a lace looking design and the top of the shade looks like it ruffles out. any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

A picture would make an opinion possible....sounds like it might be an old oil lamp, but can't say much without a picture.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 11:37PM
karinl

Maybe "gone with the wind" lamp or a not-quite-so-old Colonial table lamp? You might do image searches for both terms and see if you recognize anything.

Karin L

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 11:24AM
calliope

I'm sorry, but without a picture I don't think anyone can go very far with this one. You have exactly described a lamp I have I purchased in the early seventies from a gift shop. It wasn't an el-cheapo from a box store, nor cheap, but it was a reproduction. The light in the base statement makes me suspicious yours might be as well. Does it have a key to turn on the upper light (sits inside a chimney)? A key made to look like the one you'd lengthen the wick with? That's usually the tip-off it's a reproduction. Electrified oil lamps usually have the control switches elsewhere because the old key to lengthen the wick would have been preserved and be non-functional.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Home Design Show in NYC
click to win tickets http://www.architecturaldigest.com/win-adhds-tickets...
ami1026
Not sure what it is
Would like to restore this piece. Not sure of the age...
Hanna
Vintage oil painting
I need help with name on oil painting, I think it's...
Dones
Help with print
Have some one seen this name on artwork or know of...
Dones
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
bradleyd_svh
Sponsored Products
16" Matthews Diane Polished Chrome Directional Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Tiffany-style Mesa Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Warm Light Bedroom Tiffany Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Dainolite DLHA111-SV Desk Lamp - DLHA111-SV
$57.98 | Hayneedle
Cascade Ceiling Shade by Fire Farm
$252.90 | Lumens