Kitchenaid Dishwasher Fires and class action

athensmomof3January 22, 2012

Anyone have any more information about this or the models involved? There was something on the news in Atlanta a week or two ago about it - apparently an area house had a fire in their dishwasher. This is not an isolated incident . . .

Apparently, the government is investigating, and there is a facebook page devoted to this issue. I just purchased two KA dishwashers - the KUDE30 and the KUDE70 - so am quite concerned!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tynewydd

Website is kitchenaidfire.com

Note - the lawsuit is about not only KitchenAid but also Whirlpool, Sears Kenmore, and Maytag dishwashers (all manufactured by Whirlpool). The issue is the control board catches fire - speculation is water gets to it somehow.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAidFire

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 9:42AM
athensmomof3

Very scary, since I always set my dishwasher after dinner and usually put it on delay so it runs after I get in bed. Of course, I have a whirlpool now . . .

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 11:38AM
murmylo

Hello Everyone,

I just created a petition: KitchenAid/Whirlpool: RECALL their dishwashers (they are catching fire!), because I care deeply about this very important issue.

I'm trying to collect 1000 signatures, and I could really use your help.

To read more about what I'm trying to do and to sign my petition, click here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/ceo-of-whirlpool-corporation-we-demand-a-recall-on-your-fire-hazard-dishwashers-now

It'll just take a minute!

Once you're done, please ask your friends to sign the petition as well. Grassroots movements succeed because people like you are willing to spread the word!

Bookmark   January 27, 2012 at 4:04PM
antss

I wonder if they will publicly deny there is any problem at all , just like they did with their ovens that didn't have a problem but stopped working by the thoisands after a self clean cycle was run?

I would not spend my money with a company that operate this way. Additionally , they dont have any product that another 4-5 other companies do, and their prices are not really lower either.

So, what are you getting for your money?

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 3:33PM
antss

Athensmom - could you comment for future readers that might be in the position you were a while back?

Meaning , in hindsight, are you satisfied choosing the KA over say the Miele and Bosch that were recommended in it's place.

Was the money you saved upfront worth it?

How is the performance ?

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 3:53PM
mojavean

Whirlpool isn't the only manufacturer to endure a recall. It can happen to even the even the most prestigious and exclusive brands.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 6:18PM
marcolo

The problem isn't a recall. The problem is that KA/Whirlpool is refusing a recall.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:52AM
mojavean

CPSC can order a recall, one which KA cannot "refuse." Perhaps the petition above should be CC'd to the CPSC, along with some pictures of fire-damaged units.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 8:39AM
brickeyee

The threat of lawsuits is far more effective than petitions.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 11:14AM
athensmomof3

antss - they are not installed yet. House won't be completed til April, but we bought appliances prior to the new year before the price increase.

Part of the reason I bought KA is that I needed two dishwashers and I wasn't sure I would like the Miele without the drying element. I was told that the Miele and all european dishwashers are non-standard sizes so if I bought a Miele and hated it I would have to replace it with another European brand. We have panels on our dishwashers and have fully integrated the KA's so this would be a PITA.

At any rate, the KA is surely better than my current bottom of the barrel Whirlpool, which requires a through cleaning of all items before placing them in the dishwasher (even with Finish Quantum - helped some but not much).

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 7:15PM
bonesoda

WOW. I am glad i switched from the KA apps to misc other brands thanks to this forum.

KA used to carry such a reliability to thier name, but total opposite now.

First the ovens & denial and now this.

Initially there was the KA dishwashers letting out moisture and destroying cabs but they had issues a fix for it and now this.

Just WOW.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
Best duel fuel range
If you wanted duel fuel which would you go for?
nismo99
What electric oven to get? speed oven, combo-steam, or regular?
If I am going to go with an all gas range, which would...
nismo99
36" Blue star range- tight on space and can't decide on one electric o
Doing a kitchen renovation and have space for a 36"...
nismo99
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Fisher Paykel RF201ADX4 - Anyone have this fridge??
Hi Everyone, This fridge has a pretty good price right...
LiliReno
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™