Replacing Glass Candle Cups

DLM2000January 22, 2010

I know that's not the proper term - but not sure what to call these - faux drip catchers? LOL!

My parents bought this fixture in 1960, and I have no reason to believe it's any older than that, so antique, it is not. Please ignore the paper clips - this was in mid refurbishing.

The glass cups are just for show and obviously not even 'make-believe' useful since they wouldn't catch the drips of real candles anyway.

These are the original cups, 1" in height 1-11/16 across although the arms holding them in the fixture can be adjusted a bit to accommodate something slightly different. There is a slight bump on the bottom - can get a better pic if that helps.

Two were broken many years ago and replaced with these - blech

Any ideas where I'd start to look for something like this? Or what I'd call them when asking about them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

They look a little like mise en place prep bowls, but maybe too small. Fingerbowls?

Whatever the real term is, I don't think you'll find any the right size and will have to be creative, but I'm totally clueless here so don't take my word for it. Good luck!

    Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 7:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think IKEA carries small prep bowls that are closer to the style of the original.

I don't know how much of a lip those have though to be able to hold in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Bowls

    Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 8:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In truth, I have never seen a fixture, old or new with those little cups....

    Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 10:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I swear dlm, you have the coolest stuff in your family! ;)

    Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 7:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Prep bowls are way too big but the look is pretty close.

moonshadow - that's very sweet! Yes, I am lucky that a lot of cool family things have come my way - there's more to share and of course I have more questions to ask! But I'm learning a lot and gaining an appreciation of what the items are, not just the sentiment.

I know nothing about glass - how would I know how these are made? Is it possible they are blown? Do you think it would be possible to find someone to make them?

    Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 9:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think they are pressed.....

    Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 11:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've done a little searching, I suspect they are called what you called them: candle cups. The bottom paragraph here describes chandelier parts.
I'm having trouble getting this site to work for me, but I'm only offering it as an example of 'candle cups' anyway, so guess if you can view first page you'll see examples and sizes (What they have appears to be all metal.)
I found some crystal and cut glass, but they were way too big (4"). Maybe I can try again later, my browser is acting kind of spastic right now.

    Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 8:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

thanks for those links, moonshadow. You got me thinking and I remembered a shop nearby that is a good resource, don't know why I didn't think of them before - DUH! They'll certainly know where to send me if they don't have access to what I need. My parents did business there when I was a kid, I've bought from them and my brother uses them on occasion in clock restoration so I should have thought of it earlier - mentalpause is such an indignity ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bellows

    Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 5:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh, cool store! There is one like that near my mom but it's strictly new lighting, no antiques. (Don't know how they stay in business, but they've been there so long they do.)

mentalpause is such an indignity ;-)
Kindred spirit here, totally get it.
Worst is mid-sentence with someone and the brain just goes blank followed by that long awkward pause whilst trying to regroup. Only nothing comes to mind. I get some pretty weird looks sometimes when that happens. Mostly from the male gender. ;)

    Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 6:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Neat store!! How great to help people restore their things so they look like originals. Love their hinges!!

    Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 12:15AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can anyone identify this nightstand?
This nightstand was my grandmas and was given to me...
Michael Potter
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Book with stamp.
Have some one seen this book stamp on a book ? and...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™