Tiffany lampshade repair???

chery2January 30, 2005

I've posted this before with no successful results. I just know someone out there has the answer I need. I have a large Tiffany-style overhead lampshade that was broken by the electrician, who willingly compensated me for it. But it shouldn't be unfixable. The glass is the common caramel/cream color, and I think the broken section can be replaced w/o having to involve the whole shade. Who can I call for this replacement glass? TIA, chery-va

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

I'll be watching this one, too. I have a lovely shade that has several broken pieces in it. I've been told that since every facet in the shade is curved (both vertically and horizontally) the repair is rather complicated... not the province of "your average" stained glass worker. Evidently, the pieces must be "slumped"... heated to a point where they may be formed to arcs required to fit the frame... WAH.

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 7:58PM
lazy_gardens

Ask a stained glass shop.

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 8:48PM
chelone

I have! I've asked several and have gotten the same answer... .

Just because a technician is capable of cutting glass to the requisite size DOESN'T mean they know how to do it in THREE dimensions. It the arc of the glass vertically AND horizontally that makes it more complicated! "Slumping" makes the whole process more involved... that's where the art of knowing at what temperature the glass begins to "slump" comes into play... flat glass is basically a "no brainer"; it AIN'T the same when ARCS in the vertical and horizontal are involved.

Doing the sort of multidimensional repair required to resusitate my shade is NOT the province of the usual shop...

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 9:26PM
lindac

Call a craft shop and see if they know someone who might be knowledgable...
As a last resort, call a place that specializes in making repairs to church windows. I don't expect they will involv themselves but for a handsome price....but they might recomment someone.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 12:08AM
lkgrace345

You might consider calling Fontaine Auction in Pittsville, Connecticut. They specialize in authentic Tiffany, Handel & Craftsman era in their auctions. Although you may not have an actual Tiffany, perhaps they've heard the question before and might be able to guide you to someone for the repair. I would think that the type cuts you are describing would definitely require a craftsman. I'm not sure if Fontaine could answer your question but if you're anxious to get it repaired, it might be "worth a shot". Good luck.

Bookmark   January 31, 2005 at 8:41PM
chery2

Thanks, everybody. I'll try all suggestions and let you know. chery-va

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 12:07PM
lazy_gardens

Chelone -
Where was it stated that the glass was anything but flat?

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 9:39PM
lindac

Chelone has the shade with the curved pieces....see her post above.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 10:43PM
chelone

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone about where to find someone capable of repairing broken pieces that are curved both vertically and horizontally. I suspect I will be "set back on my haunches" by the estimates... ;)

Bookmark   February 3, 2005 at 5:11PM
rmagsombol_greenculture_com

Tiffany lamp shades are never trash even when they're broken into pieces. The look Tiffany lampshades give off is the obvious vintage classic look. Its almost retro and funky in style. Replacing Tiffany lamp shades shouldn't be an option. But repairing them is the key!

Here is a link that might be useful: lamps

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Japanese Vase
I just got this vase at street sale would like to know...
Dones
Ruby cut to clear bowl set - help with identification
A while ago I bought this set of four ruby glass bowls...
lana_roma
Why isn't furniture selling?
I've been trying to sell this 45" diameter vintage...
debodun
name on vase
Have any one seen this name before on a small vase,...
Dones
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™