Adding half bath to apartment

stitz_crewFebruary 17, 2013

We are in the planning stages of a new build and looking at design options for a downstairs apartment / inlaw suite. Current floor plan is a 1 bedroom 1 bath with open kitchen/living area. The bathroom is on the opposite side of the apartment from the bedroom. It would roughly be 40' walk to the bathroom from the bedroom. I know this is not ideal but the only place for a full bathroom. The current bedroom layout is ~13' x 11' with a ~4'x8.5' nitch. There is a large walk-in closet as well.

My main question: Would it make sense to add a half bath in the bedroom where the 4'x8' nitch is leaving a 13'x11' room? Would a bathroom away from the bedroom be a key problem for potential renters to make the cost of half bath worth it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellendi

Why not add it later if you see if seems to be a deal breaker? Only you can do the math to see if it is worth while.
IMHO people who rent will be thrilled to get a newly renovated apartment. I don't think they will too concerned with the walk.
However this might be a consideration for an old person or couple.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 3:18PM
stitz_crew

I agree that I would rather add it later if really needed. The only problem with this is that it is in a basement and will deal with a slab so it is likely a now or never situation b/c busting up concrete will def. not be worth it then.

We mainly will use the apartment space for family and helping out people in a pinch through our church, so the rental income is not a great deal as of now. I am leaning on not doing it and making sure that I have space for laundry. Since it is all on one floor a half bath is not as crucial. The only time I see it being beneficial is late at night trips to the bathroom. I guess I can supply night lights ;)

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:03PM
camlan

A bathroom on the opposite side of the apartment from the bedroom wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Currently, I'm in a two bedroom apartment. One bedroom is right next to the bathroom. The other is at the far end of the apartment, about 50 feet away. We have a nightlight in the hallway for middle of the night bathroom trips. No real problem.

Since you won't be renting this out full-time, I think you are fine without adding the half-bath.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Help with reducing noise
I live in a second floor apartment with my 5 year old...
erin277
Finding apartment in Cary NC?
Hi, I am a single mom of two moving into Cary NC area...
aaaaaaaa
Running upstairs!!!!
Please someone help me...I need some advice!! At this...
Venus78k
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Found these bugs in my apartment , please identify
Found a bunch of these bugs in my apartment and am...
iamcorymorgan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™