Any thoughts on the maker of this pottery???

pencilboyJanuary 29, 2012

I've had this for a while & have never been able to come up with a maker. The mark on the bottom is indistinct, several pottery dealers have looked at it & felt it was familiar but not familiar enough to come up with the maker. Thought I'd throw this out there for a puzzler. It's stoneware & the decoration is both incised & glazed & it's about 10" tall. Everyone agrees that it looks english rather than american. Thx for any leads.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
javaandjazz

For some reason it looks religious to me. Is that a Noah's Ark on the front and perhaps the fish has something to do with christ/god? And those look like crosses going around it and in between the crosses looks like ocean waves? Anyway, that's my take? Call me crazy but that's what I see.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 5:44PM
lindac

Although it looks nothing like Czech pottery I am familiar with.....the mark looks a little like this one....any chance it could say "made in Czechoslovakia"?
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 6:09PM
pencilboy

The mark is impressed, not printed & in the photo looks much more distinct than it is in person. I don't think it's Amphora pottery, we've had too many of those to be confused with it. Thanks to both for your thoughts. Never thought of religious, I think it's an english arts & crafts artist as do a number of other dealers, none of us can quite put our finger on who.
Any other ideas??

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 9:24PM
lindac

Can you do a rubbing of the mark and make it more legible?

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 11:01PM
pencilboy

Have tried that, nothing other than it is an oval shape & even with that only a portion of it shows on the rubbing. The mark looks way better in the photo than it does in person.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 2:26AM
calliope

The motif suggests an attempt at an ancient Egyptian or mediterranean theme. The ark isn't thought of as a vessel with oars. Looks like Coptic crosses, and the whole shebang sort of abstract. That particular incised matte glazing technique was popular in the fifties. It's an interesting piece, and I don't pick up any clues whatsoever about country of origin.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 11:48AM
lindac

that's not "The Ark"...looks like a papyrus boat....that's why I thought Egypt.

Here is a link that might be useful: papyrus boat

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 12:38PM
javaandjazz

Ok Linda, you got me! LOL!

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 4:39PM
Fori is not pleased

DOn't give up yet, J&J--it's just Exodus and not the ark. We can still be Bible here! :P

(No clue, obviously, but it's somehow very appealing, isn't it?)

I'm going with a "gone fishin'" theme.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 5:27PM
wendy177

Where the mark is impressed in the piece try pressing a piece of silly putty into it and see if it will show better than making a rubbing.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 8:58PM
pencilboy

So some similarity in subject matter is one of the reasons that there is some thought that it's english. I do not believe it is William de Morgan, I'm just pointing out some similarity in designs of english pottery.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Assistance regarding Lofisa Porcelain
Can anyone shed some light on this piece? I bought...
imaztribabe
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen
Hello! I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista...
aeb78
Vase no marks new or old ?
I have this vase with no mark at bottom, it's real...
Dones
China Cup
Hi, I'm doing some research for my sister on a china...
niawomad
Three crown stamp on fork: Swedish or U.S.?
Any idea on the age or authenticity of this brass fork...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™