Need help with artist's signature, please

justlindaJanuary 21, 2010

This neat vase was a gift years ago, and I'm trying to find out the artist's name. It was signed (I'm guessing with an electric pen of some sort) and dated. I have rubbed a lead pencil over the signature to have it show up. No matter what combination I have tried, I can't find any artists with a similar name. Sometimes another set of eyes may interpret the letters differently. Here's hoping someone may come up with another name for me to search....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

It's beautiful!
It was popular several years ago, for owners to etch their name and an identifying number. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?
But again it looks like a "studio work" to me and likely the artist is not well known and unlikely to be located.
Can you find a number or web page for Canada Handcrafted glasworks and see if they can help?
Linda c

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 4:52PM
sweeby

Nice piece! (I'm an art glass collector also) --

I'd agree with Linda's suggestion to go through Canada Handcrafted Galssworks to see who the artist is. They may have a listing of 'artists in residence' or some such that could get you started...

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 6:04PM
Fori is not pleased

F i n i b l e ?
Fimble?
Sheesh. Why mark it with such bad penmanship? :) Good luck!

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 11:54AM
mahatmacat1

justlinda, I will keep trying to look at it, but I wanted to thank you for the idea of rubbing pencil over an indistinct signature. I've tried doing rubbings on paper, but they never help. This is a great new tool.

You're actually lucky you have so much to work with--often people, even masters, will sign only with their initials, which is just SO frustrating. It seems deliberately obfuscatory.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 12:51PM
artfuldodger5601_comcast_net

I would try the Canadian Glass Art Association, perhaps request an up-to-date copy of their directory, rather than going through the company that sold the work.

The word "Fenbles" is a proper family name, rather rare, but it is one genuine possibility. Unfortunately, I know of no artist who bears the name, but it is a place to start. If you have any photos showing different angles of the signature that you can send me, reading illegibly signed art is what I do for a living, and so I am only too willing to help.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 5:41PM
justlinda

Took me a while, but here's a few more photos. For one of the pics I removed the lead pencil marks. Not sure, though, if they are any clearer from different angles. Wish I were a professional photographer and able to get better photos (sigh).

Bookmark   June 21, 2010 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
party_music50
Rosenthal China Pattern?
I stumbled upon this fine china bowl by Rosenthal,...
lana_roma
Help Glassware/Stemware Experts
Please help....do any glassware experts out there know...
lbachara11
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Help with age and materials of chair
I just purchased this chair, used, with the idea of...
mikejillnelson
Sponsored Products
Twin Hammered Dispenser with chalkboard On Stand
Classic Hostess
AICO Furniture - Oppulente Buffet in Sienna Spice - 67005-6-52
Great Furniture Deal
LBL Lighting | Modular Industrial Medium Outdoor Wall Light
YLighting
Crosby Sage Thermal Insulated 96-by-84 inch Pinch Pleated Foamback Curtains
$115.95 | Bellacor
Westwood Gold Chevron Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus