Help with wall tapestry

peachydevaJanuary 11, 2011

Hi everyone... I bought this tapestry at an auction and I know nothing about them. Do you think this is French, aubusson? It has a backing, but no tags, measures 38.5x59 and has 6 tabs for hanging. It had one little handwritten label that I can't read except for the price... $400.00. Thanks for any clues.

Di

border and tabs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

No I don't think it's an aubusson....what does the back look like? Is it signed? it lacks the vibrant colors or a good French tapestry.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 11, 2011 at 5:30PM
peachydeva

Hi Linda... here is a photo of the back:

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 11:04AM
lindac

It has a backing.....can't see the back side of the piece....is that woven or embroidery?

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 1:12PM
calliope

I know I've seen that design before. I found the same design at a site who called it "Society in the Park". It is a reproduction of a 17th-18th century French piece. Probably that same picture has been done by many tapestry manufacturers and a photo won't tell us anything, who did it, what material etc. It looks relatively new and probably is, and may or may not have been pricey depending on the quality, the manufacturer and the material. See link below for their version of this piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Society in the Park

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 3:07PM
peachydeva

Thank you both for your comments. I really appreciate knowing the design name, Calliope, you are a treasure of information! There was a small label stuck on the back of the piece with a notation I couldn't read and a price of $400.00. I think the woman who owned this had some sort of an antique shop and had it for sale there. It's pretty nice but I don't think I'd pay that much for it. It went for $3.00 at the auction!

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 9:57PM
calliope

A good quality art tapestry can easily pull that amount retail and although I collect tapestries (mostly turn of the century vintage) I'm presuming mine are modest household acquisitions because they were very popular items in that era. I don't think your's is old.

If you paid $3.00 for it.....regardless of it's origin or maker......you got a heck of a steal. I love those maudlin old prints.

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 11:10PM
SaveOnTapestries

calliope is correct. It is the "Society in the Park" Tapestry inspired by Francois Boucher. We sell the same tapestry here on our site :

The same tapestry sells for $217, so you got a great deal.

Enjoy!
Charlotte

Here is a link that might be useful: Tapestries

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Need Help to ID Native American Jewelry Bracelet
I picked this up at local garage sale and thought it...
devincu
Antique Bell evaluation
Hi, I have this antique bell. Can anyone tell me what...
Shay Yakobi
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
jerome_shorter
Copper bowls
Can anyone provide any info relating to these copper...
Cassie- LeBlanc
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls
I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional...
beckame
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™