Thermador's zoneless induction

zartemisJanuary 7, 2012

I wonder if Thermador might beat Gaggenau to offering zoneless induction in the US. Target launch of the Thermador Freedom Induction Cooktop is July 2012 at $5k:

Thermador Press Release

Kitchen Designer on the Thermador Freedom

Kellys Kitchen Sync about same

Gizmodo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsmoody

Its probably the same unit. Gaggenau, Bosch, Thermador are the same company.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 8:00AM
stooxie

Five large? Holy smokes. At least some of us can point to 600 pounds worth of stainless steel for that kind of money!

Pretty cool, though! I wonder how well it will really work. There can't be any magic, there must be zillions of small coils instead of a few very large ones. The computer must then decide which to turn on.

-Stooxie

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 8:24AM
plllog

Stooxie, That's exactly how it works. "48 individual 3-inch induction heating elements below the surface of the appliance." Zoneless induction has been available in Europe for quite a few years. The difference with the BSH version is the "mapping", where the unit identifies the pot and tracks it. Other zoneless units have prescribed control areas. You put your pot in one and use the associated control, and the pot detectors choose which inductors to turn on. Certain areas are twinned so that you can put a single pot over more than one. The BSH (Gaggenau/Thermador) version is supposed to let you use any number of pots (I'm sure there's a limit, but there's also a limit in total area). It also is supposed to remember a pot when you move it around, but I'm not sure how it figures out which is which when you have more than one pot of the same size and shape.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person
I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel...
yaupon
Questions on Bosch and Wolf induction - min. pan sizes
Hi, I have been reading posts on this forum for quite...
houztongirl
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
36" Blue star range- tight on space and can't decide on one electric o
Doing a kitchen renovation and have space for a 36"...
nismo99
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™