Running Noise

cori21January 20, 2007

I am fine with normal everyday noise coming from the condo above us. Hard wood floors creaking, footsteps, are fine because I know we share space.

We are in a multifamily that has been condo-ized. I am the condo "manager." The family above us lets their 3-year old daughter run around the condo constantly. They never take her outside to play and keep her in the house for full days at a time (with them!)

I have called up once to say, "Please stop." My husband has called twice. My china cabinet full of china shakes constantly. I can hear the child running around all the way in the basement with the dryer on next to me.

What to do? Is there anything to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cranky

Ugh. I lived in a situation like this for about 3 years, it was utter hell. It was a NYC (Queens) co-op, pre-war, so there was no insulation at all between the (hardwood) floors. People upstairs (in a studio apartment no less, there wasn't even a bedroom, so there was no escaping any of this) had a toddler that they allowed to constantly run back & forth all day and night and also to play with hard wooden toys and also, in a particularly selfish and clueless move, a KEYBOARD laid on the bare floor (oh yeah and these neighbors refused to put a stitch of rug or carpeting down). The plaster would literally fall off of my walls and ceilings. This would basically start at about 6:30/7 AM and end around 10/10:30 PM. I was both physically and emotionally exhausted all the time. The pounding would start, as would the escalating pounding in my heart. I could actually feel my blood pressure rising. The attitude of these people was always, "well, it's a child, so too bad". The only relief came when these people finally moved out. Anyway, I am so sorry to hear that you are experiencing a similar problem. I think the only thing you really can do is talk to your neighbors about it. I hope they are more reasonable than mine were.

Bookmark   January 20, 2007 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Temporary Housing
The post tell us fine information about the housing....
dayamrae138
Found these bugs in my apartment , please identify
Found a bunch of these bugs in my apartment and am...
iamcorymorgan
fyi-spammer attack on gardenweb-don't click!
The spammers are out in full force today. Do not click...
dreamgarden
Garage apartment floor plan review
We are building a house at the beach (Seagrove Beach,...
cobbyw
Terrified of my apartment neighbor what can I do?
I am a university student in a small city. I live in...
lexichay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™