Soundproofing a rented apartment

lakshmigopinathanJanuary 17, 2007

I live in a rented apartment and suffer from the footfall noise from upstairs. SInce this is a rented apartment I cannot make any major structural changes. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seneca_nyc

The first and most ideal thing would be to ask your upstairs neighbor to get rugs with thick foam padding. Is there a rule in your complex or apt building that talks about people having to put down rugs for this purpose?
And also ask your neighbors not to wear shoes indoors.

If it's noise that's keeping you up at night, I suggest Mack's earplugs - they're great and if I didn't wear them I would be woken by footfall noise.

There is a website I have looked at that has a forum on it that specifically addresses soundproofing in rental situations. It is at supersoundproofing dot com. I have no idea if it is helpful for you or not but I wanted to make you aware of its existence. (this is not a plug for the company, just for the discussions on their forums)

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 5:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
educator

I would speak to the landlord. And don't take the crap about normal living noises. A normal living noise is not constant stomping above someone's head.
And get a top floor next time. When I moved after sixteen years in a place I owned, I got a top floor apartment with no walls that adjoin another apartment. Plus, because there are only four units in the building, the landlord was picky about whom he rented to (one should discriminate by asking questions about behavior, and asking references about behavior), especially after the frat boys he rented to earlier trashed the place and made so much noise the police were called constantly.

Bookmark   January 19, 2007 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Arranging the living room. Help needed.
Hi there, I am needing some help regarding the arrangement...
KarimT
Share your condo townhouse noise experiences...
I would like to know from those of you who have lived...
Mia_
What is it with crazy people and parking spaces?
I live in an apartment otherwise known as the 'beehive'...
MassMitten
Does anyone actually like living in an apartment?
In addition to the noise I've just posted about, another...
alllen
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™