Can anyone identify this type of embroidery...

peachydevaJanuary 21, 2010

At first I thought it was hucking but it is not done on hucking fabric... it is linen. On the closeup you can see the cross-stitching with the design outlined in blue. Also the edging is different from anything I have in my collection. Can someone tell me more about this vintage textile?

Thanks, Di

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We always called it Swedish Weaving, and it was usually done on Huck cloth.

    Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 4:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I call it cross stitch.

    Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 4:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The subject matter is different but the technique is the same.
The colors your piece is done in make it look very Swedish.
The edging is pretty typical drawn work, but worked with colored floss.

Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 5:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, I remember that my mom called it Swedish weaving too. Thanks for the comments, both.

    Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 9:28AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Walnut Art Nouvaux Sideboard Advice Needed
Howdy, First post from a long-time lurker. We purchased...
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
Age of this brass "hog scraper" candle holder?
Any idea on the age of this brass "hog scraper"...
Name on artwork
I just got this photo today, have you ever hear of...
camelback sofa
Hello there - could anyone help me to identify the...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™