Gas Refund

MorvoJanuary 1, 2013

So I was gone for about a week during the holidays and when I came back the apartment was frozen. I had set the temp to 68 degrees but it felt like no heat had been used since I left, can I get a refund on my next bill due to my landlord not giving me a properly maintained heater. (I also had him look at the heater earlier in the winter season due to the same issue, which worked until I left)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greg_2010

Did you suffer in any way because there was no heat? Was there any damage to your property?
I'm not exactly sure why you think you should be entitled to a refund. For what?

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 3:48PM
mike_kaiser_gw

The law typically sets some minimum standards for habitability for rental properties along with specific steps that need to be taken if those standards aren't met. You should use your favorite search engine to research landlord/tenant relations in your state. If necessary, consult with an attorney who specializes in landlord/tenant relations.

In your case, given you weren't home and inconvenienced by the heat failure, you probably aren't entitled to any kind of compensation.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 5:16PM
SteveBurgess_

All I would like to suggest to talk with owner. If you guys settled with some solution then it will be great, else file a petition. I am sure they will be charging you for the heater.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 5:05AM
More Discussions
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Help with reducing noise
I live in a second floor apartment with my 5 year old...
erin277
Found these bugs in my apartment , please identify
Found a bunch of these bugs in my apartment and am...
iamcorymorgan
Noisy neighbor - am I being oversensitive?
Live in a townhouse next to people with two small kids...
hblotus95
Appliance Size for garage apartment
building an apartment over a garage. apt size is 500...
cobbyw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™