Do you feel like you are just your landlord's lowly cash cow?

nctrnlJanuary 12, 2006

It seems there are many smalltime landlords who just want to be there to collect the rent. They don't want fix things, hear or deal with ANY complaints about other tenants or resolve any problems at all.

Do you ever feel that just because you rent a cheap apartment you are supposed to just shut up & take what is given to you by the landlord?

That because of your particularly precarious situation in life the landlord knows he has leverage over you?

A lot of times just moving to another place is not even an option... be it because of the scarcity of cheap apartments in the area,one's precarious financial situation or any of a number of other problems.

The post that mentioned the lady that got evicted because she complained about her extremely noisy neighbors got me thinking about this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

There are all kinds of people who are landlords, and some of them are jerks. I have friends who manage an apartment building, and I do hear the other side of this equation, too, though.

I don't believe most landlords have an objective of victimizing tenants, but they are in it for the money and trying to do what they can to maximaize their return on investment. Sometimes it leads to unfortunate results, but I don't think that jerking people around is a primary motivation.

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
Apartment vs Individual home
Which one do all people likes to stay in an Apartment...
kushy28
music instrument playing?
I'm wondering whether or not to be worried about disturbing...
outofideas009
Share your condo townhouse noise experiences...
I would like to know from those of you who have lived...
Mia_
Moth problem..Help please.....
Allright I have had a moth problem for about 5 maybe...
lucidmike
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Sponsored Products
Vantage Medium Bench in Natural
$329.00 | LexMod
Set of Four Blue Arbor Dessert Plates
$155.00 | FRONTGATE
Filament Design Wall Mounted Cabernet Collection 1-Light Outdoor Black Gold
$36.04 | Home Depot
Room Magic Heart Throb Window Valance - RM14-HT
$28.00 | Hayneedle
Heirloom Polished Nickel One-Light 11-Foot Cord Pendant with Large Scalloped Met
$504.00 | Bellacor
Deck Impressions Outdoor Lighting. 32 in. White Single Cubic Lighted Baluster (2
$32.99 | Home Depot
Ocean Blue Pinstripe Tencel Microfiber Sheet Set
$69.99 | zulily
A-America Montreal Double X Dining Side Chair - Espresso - Set of 2 - AAME051
$276.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™