Are there rules re painting/cleaning?

jane__nyJanuary 23, 2010

Will be renting a condo soon which needs painting and cleaning. It has been standing empty for months and needs a good cleaning. Two bedrooms are painted red and green. I would like that changed to a neutral color. Water in toilets and sinks have badly stained the fixtures.

Is the landlord (owner) responsible for cleaning and painting or do I have to pay for this?

Appreciate any comments as I'm new to this.

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larke

The landlord should be responsible for cleaning. Painting is something which if it has not been done in years (more than 5-10) one might expect the LL to do, but if it's only a matter of preference (cosmetics) then everyone's different - e.g. either the LL will do it (especially if colors are flagrantly awful), or possibly make a deal with you to do it, but he would pay for paint, or may even forbid you to touch it at all. Each case (or LL) is different, so you have to talk to them. Red and green (I'll presure relatively "primary" colors) sure sound like you have a case for him to pay for the paint at the very least, and more likely re labor as well (hiring out).

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 4:32AM
humewood

In my neck of the woods, the tenant who signs a lease prior to moving in, technically accepts the rental unit in the condition it was in when he/she viewed it unless the Landlord verbally agreed at the viewing to make changes. Of course, the Landlord is liable for general repairs, fridge, stove, toilet etc. Also, the lease often specifies who can re decorate. Best to get the written permission of the Landlord in advance of any work. We had a tenant who took it upon herself to paint our beautiful oak wood trim and two oak French doors with flat latex white paint, painting poorly done at that. For the record, we have professional cleaners clean the unit before it is shown. We also repaint where needed. Our lease does not allow tenants to use primary colours because the paint out requires a delay in the new rental when the unit becomes vacant again. Hope this helps and that your new LL is a good one!

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 11:39AM
jane__ny

Thank you for the advice. This is a condo which is being rented by the owner who had to move out of state due to job transfer. I haven't dealt with anyone except the listing agent who is difficult to get a hold of and vague about everything. I am using an agent (who sold my house) and she has trouble hearing back from him. She doesn't think he will repaint and will only 'sweep-clean.'

Jane

Bookmark   January 23, 2010 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Share your condo townhouse noise experiences...
I would like to know from those of you who have lived...
Mia_
Help with reducing noise
I live in a second floor apartment with my 5 year old...
erin277
How common are door notes for communicating with tenants?
Is it legal for an apartment manager to put paper notes...
Jck507
Apartment vs Individual home
Which one do all people likes to stay in an Apartment...
kushy28
Moth problem..Help please.....
Allright I have had a moth problem for about 5 maybe...
lucidmike
Sponsored Products
Charles Dining Table in Black
$899.00 | LexMod
Carlisle Cuddle Outdoor Lounge Chair Cushions, Patio Furniture
$938.00 | FRONTGATE
Ginkgo Pendulum Stainless Platinum Finish Flatware - Set of 20 - 079914-27115-8
$76.99 | Hayneedle
West Leather Ottoman - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Serena & Lily Knit Linen Pillow Covers
Serena & Lily