Help identifying a Japanese Porcelain Moon Basket

DavidUngerJanuary 26, 2012

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me. I primarily collect European ceramics and came across a lovely Half-Moon basket vase. I am having a lot of trouble identifying the mark. To my (untrained) eye it looks like a Meiji period Meizan Sei marking. But I am anything but sure!

Any help you could offer in identifying the piece would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

David

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

It is Meiji period, and I imagine you also noticed the Shimazu family crest, putting it in the Satsuma group. I can't help you anymore than that. It's gorgeous.

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 10:39AM
DavidUnger

Hi - Many thanks.

My thoughts were that it was a Shimazu family piece, made by Meizan. But that's the best I got from scouring forums and images of Asian markings and I am only about 10% sure on any of the above. Does that sound right?

I'm a very much in the dark on Asian stuff. Put a piece of European ceramics in front of me and I'll know what I am looking at!

Yes, I love it :) I bought it with a very pretty little (but unmarked) Sake pot. Not sure whether I'll hold onto either, or sell and put the money towards a Clarice Cliff.

David

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 10:45AM
DavidUnger

Just to follow up, after further investigation I think I can probably confirm that what I have is a Meizan Hododa pieces, from the Shimazu family.

Now I just need to decide whether to keep it, or sell and put the money towards another Clarice Cliff :)

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying blue bowl
Does anyone recognize this maker's mark? It is on the...
SFQ54
W H Grindley Satin White
Can someone help me to identify the pattern? The stamp...
TulipWoolf
What is this?
Picked up at a thrift store. Any ideas?
CathyChex
Trying to ID style of decoration on this 19th century table
This table (called a "plant stand" by the...
jacqueline9CA
help identifying antique table
I found this table at an estate sale for 45 dollars....
moya0311
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™