Symbols on bottom of silver candelabra

linnea56January 10, 2012

I bought these candelabra (a pair) at an estate sale. They are only lightly tarnished. Some symbols or trademark stamps on the bottom, but nothing to indicate either silver plate or sterling. (I would expect that if it WAS sterling, though, these estate sale estimators would know, and it would not be sold in this way)

There was nothing else in the house that appeared to be antique (vintage, maybe), at least, not by the time I arrived: so I'm assuming these are not; but I don't know what other forum to post this in. Anyone recognize these symbols? Thanks!

In the square stamp at left is written, "10," with a letter G superscript with a line under it. In the octagonal stamp at right are the Letters "D" and "R" with a chalice or wineglass shape in between. There is some design on the chalice that I can�t make out, even with magnification.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mfrog

GDR usually means "German Democratic Republic" or East Germany, although it's hard to see your mark that well.

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 2:46AM
linnea56

The letter G is not together with the D and the R, though.

The G is with the # 10 on one stamp, and the D and R are on the other stamp.

Bookmark   January 10, 2012 at 6:38PM
linnea56

Boy, there have been a lot of silver threads recently!

Does anyone know of a dictionary or something where I could look up my marks?

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 2:57PM
lindac

Not the easiest to read....but pretty comprehensive

Here is a link that might be useful: silver marks

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 6:27PM
linnea56

Thanks, Linda. I can't open it. I can see the first page, but clicking in the links leads me to an error message. I'll try again later; maybe the website is down? Once I can get in there, I will dig. I'm motivated! :) I have a feeling that I maybe be giving these to one of my kids someday, so I would like to give them as much info as possible!

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 4:37PM
lindac

sorry you can't open it...I have no trouble even going from the link I posted. Hope the situation rights itself.
Try looking for 925-1000 and see if you can get to the page that way.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 6:03PM
linnea56

I tried google searching it, too. Can't open it that way, either. Must be my browser. I probably need to update it, though I have not encountered before not being able to open a site due to that. I am afraid to update, though. I have so much important work stuff on this computer. A friend, another artist, installed a new Internet Explorer and her whole computer crashed and died. Just backing up is a nightmare: I get confused too easily.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 12:58PM
Fori is not pleased

If you're really nervous, just install a different browser like Chrome. It won't mess up your current setup at all.

(The link works for me...it's definitely you! )

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 1:00PM
linnea56

Fori, do you mean intall Chrome in addition to leaving my current Internet Explorer installed? That sounds safe. Maybe this weekend....after I ask my husband to help me back up my files!

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 1:10PM
Fori is not pleased

Yep.

Or Mozilla. I like Mozilla Firefox because I already know how to use the ad blockers, but I'm a slow adapter to new things.

Still, it's always a good idea to back stuff up, or so I hear. :)

On topic, hurry up and figure those out. Very elegant candelabra! I see why you picked them up. Pure class!

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 3:15PM
linnea56

Thanks! Yes, the more I see them, the more I like them. It was funny: I went back to this sale on the second day, because I realized I had forgotten something I had paid for (earrings; they had this deal where they held it at the counter, and the cashier didn't remind me). It wasn't til more than half the stuff at the house was gone, that these stood out enough to see. They sold a dining room table while I was there, and everything that had been piled on top of it, they moved into adjoining rooms. Suddenly I saw these candelabra in the kitchen, which I know must have been on that table, but I had not seen.

They were marked $35 for the pair, which was probably why everyone passed them up. But the sale was ending in an hour, and I offered $25, and they counter offered $28.

It is interesting, but now the two items I'm most glad I didn't let go, are a middle eastern style low brass table, which a friend I was with had to talk me into buying, because it was $60, and these candelabra. Sometimes it is hard to see the value of certain items, in such a context. It's not a place to get too cheap. I think you can get focused so much on getting a good deal, and how cheap some things are, that you forget that the best items, though perhaps priced higher than other things around them, are still really a good deal and worth the higher price, and then some.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 4:56PM
lindac

Yeah....it's funny...I can get into the "sale mentality"...at an auction where everything is going cheaply. $.50 for this, $2.00 for that....and a lovely something comes up for $20.....and you think...Wow! Expensive!....when it really isn't.
I also have a friend who has a lovely house.....and is a really good "junker"....she reminds me....take this out of the Dollar Tree and put it on your antique mahogany table and it will look wonderful!!
I once did table decorations for an elegant party for 150 people from the Dollar store! Plain glass, candles, black river rock, sparkley ribbon, couple of sheets of black poster board and some spray paint...looked like the party store at 5 times the cost!

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 5:11PM
Fori is not pleased

So I was browsing something else and saw something that reminded me of this...if it's French plate, the marks are rectangles and not diamonds (as they'd be with sterling) and the "10" would indicate thickness (or amount? grams?) of the silver and the other would be the maker. BUT. I could be misinterpreting so I'll have to ask a silver guru to correct that.

Bookmark   January 18, 2012 at 7:59PM
JoAnn-H

Trying to determine if the candelabra is silver?
I believe it's about 80yr old

Markings in bottom- 3 prong crown then G S C or G 8 C
I have a photo of the markings too.
JoAnn- H

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 7:08PM
JoAnn-H

Here are the markings on the bottom.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 7:11PM
colleenoz

The markings photo needs to be a sharp close-up for anyone to be able to identify them.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 10:37PM
JoAnn-H

Thanks Colleenoz, here's a close up of those markings.
Any idea?
JoAnn-H

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:53PM
JoAnn-H

Thanks Colleenoz, here's a close up of those markings.
Any idea?
JoAnn-H

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 4:55PM
mfrog

If I can jump in here, I think they may be Goldfeder Silverware Co., although I can't seem to find that exact mark associated with their company. It may take more research. Maybe others will be able to find it. HTH, mfrog

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Help identifying a vase?
Does anyone know anything about this vase.It has no...
Melissa Mcintosh
Ideas about this vase/bottle?
Hello! I recently discovered this great forum and am...
party_music50
Radio /turntable
Hi, I was given this radio/turntable and wish to know...
koolkat62
Help Glassware/Stemware Experts
Please help....do any glassware experts out there know...
lbachara11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™