the nfl network (nfln)

ross939November 16, 2006

The first time I saw this station on Dish Network (part of my basic 150 plan), I was a bit sceptical. I figured that the high paying networks would get the cream and NFLN would get stuck with the third string offesive tackle interviews and sucky low market games. Man was I wrong. This is turning into one of my favorite sports channels. I have three kids and my wife and I work full time so I don't get a chance to watch many games anymore, so I particularly enjoy the NFL Instant Replay, where they take the top couple games of the week, edit out all the timeouts and pauses between plays, they cut in postgame interviews of players, coaches and ad in conversations cought on camera between coaches and players that you would never see in a live game. It's almost like watching a cross between an old NFL Films video and a live game. This network offers a great product and I predict that it will be a much bigger part of the future of NFL games on live TV. I can even see a day when The NFL is totally off commercial TV and on just a couple pay networks (Hope that doesn't happen though.).

--John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
semper_fi

"I can even see a day when The NFL is totally off commercial TV and on just a couple pay networks (Hope that doesn't happen though.)."

Although some say that there are no guarantees in life, I can absolutely positively guarantee that would NEVER happen. The money that the networks pay NFL for the rights to televise those games are mind boggling. I forget the exact $ amount but if my senile memory serves me correctly, I believe the figure is in the double-digit BILLIONS. I think just looking at the sheer economics of it all would make limiting viewership to a few pay channels pretty impractical, if not fairly impossible.

I agree with you about the NFL network. When it first came out, I assumed it would be another worthless TV channel thought out by some out-of-touch TV executives. It has been a pleasant surprise.

Bookmark   November 17, 2006 at 9:50PM
cindy_5ny

We love it! One thing I really enjoy (along with everything else) is Mike Pereira's Official Review Segment.

It sure is nice to watch in the off season too - helps with the football withdrawal symptoms .....

Cindy

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 11:13AM
semper_fi

Generally, bad commentators do not bother me too much as I can usually tune them out as I have had to do in the past with people like Boomer Esiason, Dennis Miller, Chris Berman, Jerry Glanville, etc.... but Bryant Gumble's whiney voice is just wayyyy too much.

So is it just me or does he really SUCK at being a play-by-play guy???

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 11:29PM
netshound

I don't get the NFL Network where I am. Time Warner Cable refuses to pick it up.

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 8:13AM
wynative

I love NFL Network! Couldn't see the Tuesday night game with out it (How about those 49er's!!!!)

semper_fi
~ Bryant Gumble's whiney voice is just wayyyy too much. ~

You took the words right out of my mouth! And he doesn't know *#@% about football! He is always saying something total out of text and the other guy is alway correcting him on names, then rolling his eyes as if to say "could they have teamed me up with anyone flakier?" I am pretty good at tuning out irritating sounds but he ALWAYS come though loud and clear.

Hopefully this will be the only year and he doesn't have a 10 year contract! Maybe if enough of us write and complain, they will take the hint? LOL

Marie

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 4:03PM
semper_fi

Phew! I was starting to think that I was the only one that felt that way. ;-)

Marie, a fairly reliable source has told me that Mr. Gumble will not return in the same capacity next year. It's bad when he makes Cris Collinsworth, one of the bigger weasels in broadcasting, look like an absolute genius!!!

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 10:17PM
ross939_sbcglobal_net

yeah, I vote Gumble off the set, too. Funny, he wasn't to bad in his analyst gig... but as a comentator he sucks!

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 4:27AM
ross939

yeah, I vote Gumble off the set, too. Funny, he wasn't to bad in his analyst gig... but as a comentator he sucks!

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 4:27AM
ralf58

Does anyone know--if your team's game is schedule for NFL network, is it also shown on a local station? Otherwise, local fans who don't have NFL network won't get to see it.

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 10:44PM
bigbillmar

Sorry but if you are out of market, you won't see your game. The NFL chose to take games off regular broadcast TV to make even more money (like owners and players don't make enough already!). I hope they come to their senses soon and put the network on Time Warner's sports tier. If the network is that great, it will be an easy sell to NFL junkies like me!

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 4:06PM
randomspirit

i really want this channel.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 11:49AM
sailor86

Out of all the minuses I encountered with Dish Network, the NFL channel was the only shining star. Fortunately we maintained our subscription through football season but had to cry uncle in February due to impossible bills via AT&T. We now have Charter cable and as a whole are much more satisfied except that I don't believe they carry that specific network. Oh well, gotta take the bad with the good.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 3:20PM
jamesfranco

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:21AM
jakkom

I've also really enjoyed the series "A Football Life." A few months ago they did an episode on Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers of the Chicago Bears, whom I watched when I was growing up in Chicago. Butkus and Sayers are now close friends and it was great to see not only the old footage of their glory days, but also listen to them sitting and talking on camera about their current lives after retirement.

And of course, the episode on Bill Walsh, who created the great 49er teams of the 1980's, was riveting...especially considering their pathetic disarray under current ownership. Sigh.....

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
14 zip...
So far...so good!!!!!!
lellie
Florida vs Georgia ??? final score?
I missed the end of the game. Who won?
yborgal
go notre dame
Good thing I have 2 TV's in the living room....Gators...
geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
Steeler Nation!
Anyone else out there? From SE NY here! Looks like...
cindy_5ny
dah bears!!!
It's 41 to 0 at halftime. Grossman is 18 out of 22. The...
ralf58
Sponsored Products
Masonboro Island VI Canvas Wall Art by John Golden - 30W x 30H in. - ART041HN
$174.99 | Hayneedle
Fathead NFL Mascot Wall Decal - 14-14109
$89.99 | Hayneedle
John Boos Newton 18 in. Square Maple Reversible Cutting Board with Juice Groove
$199.95 | Hayneedle
Blue Moon Rising Canvas Wall Art by Megan Duncanson - 30W x 15H in. - ART004HN
$81.17 | Hayneedle
RST Outdoor Delano Loveseat and Ottoman with Coffee Table - OP-PELOVOT-DEL-K
Hayneedle
NFL 12 x 15 in. Rob Gronkowski New England Patriots Player Plaque - 1215GRONKOW
$32.99 | Hayneedle
RST Outdoor Cantina 6 Piece Corner Sectional Sofa and Coffee Table Set Multicolo
Hayneedle
angelo:HOME Mercer Table Lamp - Sugar Cane - 8520-TL
$118.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™