Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bocephus2112

Panel question

bocephus2112
15 years ago

I have an old split buss panel with 2 main disconnects on top setion.60 amp. and 40 amp.60 amp. protects section 2.40 amp. protects section 3.All my breakers are on section 2.10 single pole.All lighting and receptacles.Section 3 has no breakers on it.Is this safe?

Comments (11)

• joed
    15 years ago

Never heard of three section panel. Are you sure that 40 amp doesn't protect an electric stove?

• bocephus2112
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Panel has (3)12 breaker sections.2 main disconnects(60&40amp),are on top section.60 amp. breaker has 4/0 wire soldered to section 2.40 amp. breaker has 4/0 wire soldered to section 3.All 10 single poles are on section 2.I do have a 30 amp.dp breaker for a/c and 30 amp. dp breaker for dryer.These are a whole different situation.They are on section 1 and do not shut off by main breakers.My a/c and dryer still work.These 2 breakers are where main disconnects are to be.

• hexus
    15 years ago

can you please post a picture, or describe it better with better punctuation and full spelling of what exactly you're trying to say?

• bocephus2112
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The two service cables come in through the top of the panel.there is twelve slots(section 1) in direct contact with lugs.Panel cover marks these slots as main disconnects.There is two double pole breakers here.One is a 60 amp. breaker.Its #4 wires run to another set of 12 slots(section 2).The other is a 40 amp. breaker.Its #4 wires run to yet another set of 12 slots(section 3).All of my single pole 15 and 20 amp. breakers are on section 2,protected by 60 amp. breaker.I have no breakers on section 3,protected by 40 amp. breaker.I only have two double pole breakers.One for a/c.One for dryer.These two breakers are on section 1 with main breakers.They do not shut off when shutting off main breakers.I want to know if having all circuits on 60 amp. breaker and none on 40 amp. breaker is safe.

• joefixit2
    15 years ago

It sounds like a Cutler Hammer CH series double split bus panel. If so, it is a high quality, rare panel. Are the breaker handles tan?

No hazard exists with all your branch circuits on the 60 amp protected section. The 60 amp breaker will see to that.

• hexus
    15 years ago

I'm still confused, pardon my apparent stupidity.

Where do you live? From your profile it looks like you might be out of the US. Is this three-phase? What brand is the panel? Can you provide a picture?
    Though I doubt there is any safety issue as it sounds like you have over current protection I would like to see just what you're talking about.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Last time I checked, Afghanistan is outside the US.

• hexus
    15 years ago

"Last time I checked, Afghanistan is outside the US."

gee are you sure? That is why I asked the question where exacty he is living and in what scenario this panel being used.
    Most of Afghanistan uses a 220V system and he mentioned both single and double pole breakers. I hope your sarcasm wasn't directed at me that I didn't check his location before asking the question...

• pharkus
    15 years ago

There are three-section split-bus panels.

Here's one!

The situation you described isn't a hazard.

It's not optimal either, but it won't hurt anything. You've essentially got a 60A service with a lot of extra parts.

• bocephus2112
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pharkus,
    This is exactly what I have.I appreciate the understanding though I lack proper terminology.Whats the idea behind two different size main breakers?I would think two 50 amps make more sense.

Much thanks

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't directing sarcasm at any one. Just my off beat sense of humor.