Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khandi_gw

RECIPE: Chicken Fajita Feta-Chini

khandi
17 years ago

This recipe comes from my collection of recipes from newspaper clippings from over 20+ years ago.

Chicken Fajita Feta-Chini

2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed

2 Tbsp lime juice

3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2 x ½-inch strips

2 Tbsp olive oil, divided

2 cups red, green and yellow pepper strips

1 medium onion, sliced

1 cup mild or medium salsa

6 oz Feta cheese, crumbled

8 oz fettuccine, cooked and drained

Mix chili powder, cumin, oregano and juice. Add chicken; stir to coat.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.

Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil and vegetables to skillet. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until tender-crisp.

Stir in salsa; bring to boil. Add chicken and ¾ cup of the cheese. Spoon mixture over hot fettuccine.

Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss before serving. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Comments (7)

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Khandi, have you made this recipe?

Ann

• khandi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, I haven't made it yet. Thought I'd share it because it sounds good. I'm just wondering how much "sauce" you get with the pasta. I like "saucy" pasta. My daughter, however, likes her pasta with little sauce - as does my sister!

This recipe sounds like it's nice and spicy (using spicy salsa), so I'm guessing that you don't really need too much sauce for it to be tasty! I love using cumin and salsa in recipes.

When I make homemade macaroni & cheese, I add about 1/2 cup salsa sauce to the cheese sauce. It adds a nice "zip" to the dish and makes for a nice change from your usual mac'n cheese.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Wow - I wondered if this was a T&T... personally I think feta cheese and chili powder and salsa and lime juice sounds like a terrible combination... but to each his/her own.

Maybe you can make this and report back?

• khandi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Yes, everybody has his/her tastes. Myself, I haven't tasted feta cheese because I'm not that much of a cheese lover. Daughter and hubby like any type of cheese, except blue cheese. As for chili powder, salsa, and lime juice together - I've tried it in many dishes and it's okay for me. I make a beef fajitas dish that has salsa, brown sugar, garlic, and soya sauce, and you add the lime juice at the end (I got it from Allrecipes.com and have made it several times). Everybody who has tried it have liked it. A friend makes her chili with salsa and chili powder as ingredients. But... although I like the combination of salsa, chili powder, and lime.. I'm not sure how it would be with feta cheese because I don't know what feta cheese tastes like.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Feta is a Greek cheese traditionally made with sheep or goats milk, but sometimes you find cows milk feta.
    Feta is the cheese you find with the Kalamata olives in a Greek salad and in a spanikopita.
    Linda C

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Thanks for the clarification Khandi.

I love Feta cheese AND chili powder/salsa/lime but I just cannot get my brain wrapped around combining them! I think the recipe might be better with a queso fresco or even Jack cheese. I just don't *think* it would work (for me)with feta.

Alexa

• americanwit
    17 years ago

Ingredients:

5 tbsp vegetable oil

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp cayenne

1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips

1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips

1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips

1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin strips

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 tsp pepper

In glass dish, mix together 2 tablespoons oil, the lime juice, cumin and cayenne. Add chicken and toss to coat completely with marinade. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for two hours for extra flavor, if time allows.

In a wok, heat 1 tablesppon oil until very hot. Add chicken with marinade and stir-fry over high heat until chicken is white throughout. Remove to a plate.

Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to wok and heat until very hot. Add peppers, onion and garlic; stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Return chicken to wok and season with pepper. Toss until heated through, about 1 minute.

Serve with warm flour tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream and guacamole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Awesome recipes