Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brentr_gw

Our New Pool Build in Jacksonville, FL

brentr_gw
14 years ago

I have been on this forum for couple of months now reading and posting and wanted to thank everyone for all the great information and advice.

Here are some specs

New Pool Discription

10 x 20 approx 225 sq ft

3.5 ft to 4.5 ft, approx 6500 gals.

2 swim out benches 5 ft on one side and 10 ft on the other

2 ft waterfall

Bubbler

2 outside returns for dolphin statues

6 x6 tile, Hawaii, blue color

Pebble tec finish

Salt water system

1100 sq ft Tremron Estate pavers, colors are coral, charcoal and south beach

Coping color is coral

92 ft of 12" x 12" footers for pool cage.

1.5 hp pump

DE filter

Possible Heat pump

The pool will be next to a 16 x 20 enclosed screened in patio.

I will try to post some pics. We signed the contract on July 4th and the PB told us we will be swimming in 29days.

Comments (76)

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fletch58, here are the pics of the water fountain and the setup. Enjoy.........
    Also look at my pebbles coming out and this just day 5 with water in the pool........

• crissyucf
    14 years ago

I really like your pool!! Incorporating your pavers into the Florida room was a GREAT idea!!!!

• airborne101
    14 years ago

Wow Brent, 140 mph. I believe it, I caught a show on a hurricane in the islands and saw a cage still standing, the homeowner said they got 170 mph, of course the screens suffered, but the cage fared better than his tile roof. Interesting to me, never been to Florida, how they build them may have to do with aluminum versus steel. Sure adds an awesome look to a pool area, makes it look so huge. You did a nice job on the pool. I looked at your pix again, have an idea what a Florida room is, we call them sunrooms here. Enjoy the pool, thanks for the answers, Barb

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought that it was time to add some more pics as I added a couple of things. The first is the install of a pentair deck jet just opposite the mermaid/ dolphin statue. The ball that has the 3 streams of water is very loud and I have it on an adjustable pentair never lube valve. I can control the height and length of the water stream. I have never had it on full pressure but I do know it can shoot 30ft wide and 30 ft high:) Of course it was a mistake when testing it out and why would you want it shooting out so far. It is a cool toy to play with though.

Here are some pics of the Dolphin Bar and Grill including some night time pics.

This is a pic of the Flamingo Lounge. The wife like to name things. LOL

Here are some night time pool pics.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay it is 10mths later and we now have green grass covering the sand and dirt and some landscaping. I thought I would post some pics. Thanks you for looking.

The bushes outside the screen are pineapple- guava bushes. They have the prettiest pink edible flowers and I am told that they will bear edible fruit. I put these in hoping for a privacy fence.

DW has named this area as the Pump Pad Pub. She has a sign being made and we will hang it by the pool equipment. You might ovserve that We added solar heat to the pool in March to use as our main souce of heating with the heat pump as a back up to be used in the cooler mths. I am very pleased with it. It keeps the pool at 89 degrees during the week, and I turn it up to 94 degrees on the weekend as we like to swim at night. We love warm water and DW will not go in the pool unless it is 88 degrees or higher. What can I say, we got to keep the women happy :)

This is another pic of the Dolphin Bar and Grill. The Flamingo Lounge is to the left of it. DW loves to name things :) I am considering building a more permanent outdoor kitchen here along with a bar to seat at least 6-8 people. I have to put a cover over the top screen first, so as to keep out the afternoon summer showers.

I have the bubbler attachment in place of the glass bowl.

Lots of green outside the screen which make a big difference compared to last years pics earlier in this blog

Here are a couple of night time shots. The plants lit up are Majesty Palms and the lights are solar powered, $20 for a bx of 2 from Walmart. The dolphin/ mermaid statue is also lit up.
    The girls enjoying night time swimming while drinking Champagne.

• airborne101
    13 years ago

Brent it looks awesome! Love all the green and uplighting. Perfect..... Barb

• to-the-beach
    13 years ago

Looks great! What a difference some landscaping makes. We are at that awkward point now....a pretty pool, surrounded by a mud pit! Once the new fence is up, we can start the landscaping. I can't wait. Nice work, enjoy it!

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Barb thank you for your kind words. I had a hard time to get anything to grow during the winter and I am just happy with the green, most may be weeds :)

to-the-beach, I still have more projects to do however I am able to relax and enjoy the pool more. I still have 3 more electrical outlets to put in and a whole summer kitchen/ bar to design and build. The projects never end. DW had me replace the party lights to Pink and Teal lights last nite.........

• ventura43
    13 years ago

Loved looking thru this thread and your other over on troublefree pools on your solar install.

We're on Amelia Island,just north of you and have been considering solar for awhile now. Can you give a ball park figure on the solar?

• lbridges
    13 years ago

Glad to see the project continues it's forward progress.

With our recent rains I finally see my replacement sod taking hold. Next up is the thinking steps about landscaping. Sometime this summer solar - I seem to be running a 6-month lag with your efforts.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ventura43 send me an email and I will be happy to discuss my findings and experience.

lbridges, your pool looks beautiful. I like the geometric design. Take your time with the landscaping and purchase plants and mulch when they are on sale. It will take some time for your money tree to grow new leaves:)

• dawn44
    13 years ago

Wow your pool looks great ... I am having a pool installed in St. Pete Beach, I live in NJ and my 21yr old daughter is over seeing the project. My PB has been great to work with. I have a question about the lighting you use in the flower pots, are they solar lights or did you have them wired?

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mdawn44, the lighting for the flower pots are solar powered spot lights. I got them from Walmart, they cost $20 for a box that has 2 spot lights. They have larger ones for $40 each however I found these to put out the same amount of and they had a nice shape.
    Here is another night time pic. Note the reflection of the statue in the water. Also note that the top of the pool cage is also lit up slightly.

• snsn
    13 years ago

Brentr,

I saw on another thread where you have added a solar heating system. My husband and I are discussing this very topic. What was the cost for the Aquatherm system and installation?

Thank you!

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

snsn email me at vat-19@juno.com so we can this off line. I would be happy to discuss. We love our solar:)

• snsn
    13 years ago

Brentr,

I have e-mailed you for more info. Thank you!

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

Looks really great and you did tons of decking. I love it. We just started our PB in central MD last week. Hoping for decent weather so most of it is done before spring and we are swimming by May. Enjoy your new pool...one other thing, Where did you get the Dophin Bar and Grill sign? I love it!

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cmanley33, my wife's brother makes signs for a living so he made the sign for us. Since then we added solar and a summer kitchen. Look at these links
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-solar-system-install-t19278.html
    and this link for summer kitchen:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-outdoor-summer-kitchen-in-the-dolphin-bar-and-grill-t25245.html

• cmanley33
    12 years ago

Does your BIL have a website where he sells his signs?

• loves2read
    11 years ago

Wonder if you could give update on your Tremron pavers?
    We are getting estimates to resurface the lanai at our FL house and Tremron is used a lot in area around Sarasota...
    What about heat in the outside area of pool/pool cage and the patio outside the pool cage?
    Did you get white base pavers?
    Did you have the exterior ones sealed?
    And did you use polymeric sand in the outside portion of the patios--in and out of the pool cage?

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wonder if you could give update on your Tremron pavers?
    We love our pavers. The screen room has 1.25 inch pavers on top of a concrete slab. Outside is matching 3.5 inch pavers.
    We are getting estimates to resurface the lanai at our FL house and Tremron is used a lot in area around Sarasota...
    What about heat in the outside area of pool/pool cage and the patio outside the pool cage? There is some heat however it is bareably. We have the lighter colors
    Did you get white base pavers? No they are Tremron Estate.
    Did you have the exterior ones sealed? No seal on them. I never got around to that yet.
    And did you use polymeric sand in the outside portion of the patios--in and out of the pool cage? No polymeric sand yet. Maybe I will do some this year.

• Angnjam
    10 years ago

Your pool looks so fun and well done. I had a question for you: You said I could attach that glass bowl water feature to my return line. Can you tell me how I would do this? What fittings would I need to purchase? Thanks so much.

• gmx.jax
    9 years ago

We are just starting our journey of looking for a pool contractor. Do you mind sharing who you built with and also who you would avoid? thank you!

• Marianne51
    9 years ago

I am also in NE Florida and need to find someone to place a fiberglass shell in place etc. Just started looking for a contractor. Now I was wondering, the pool I am looking at is 19 X 12 with depth from 3'4" to 5' deep and it's now the middle of July, what is your pool's water temperature? I am going to screen in the pool as well and would hate to go to the trouble to add a pool and the water is too hot to want to swim in. I also don't like to swim in too cool water but hot water I wouldn't like either. Thanks for all the great pool pics and information.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marianne51, I can't say what your pool temp will be like as every pool is different and depends on many factors like depth, amount of sun exposure and times it is exposed to the sun. Generally a screen cage will make your pool a few degrees cooler. Before we added the heat pump and solar our pool max temp would get to 86 degrees. This is too cool for us warm bodies. I suspect you may want to invest in a heat source later as this will lengthen your swimming season. We keep our pool at 88-89 degrees in the summer and 90-92 in the cooler months.

• Ron Barbetti
    8 years ago

Hi Brent and forum, I am looking for a reputable paver contractor to install a driveway and backyard patio in St. Augustine. Can you message me the name of yours and what the projected cost per sq-ft is if known. Thanks, Ron

brentr_gw thanked Ron Barbetti
  • brentr_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ron I do not see a way to contact you.

• Ron Barbetti
    8 years ago

Brent, can you post the info here? i am new and do see an option for a private message. Thanks

• PRO
    Nuanez Custom Homes
    8 years ago

Brent I am in Jacksonville .. Looking for a good pool contractor,, any way you can get me your pool guys name and contact info , if you recommend him...Thanks Ralph

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

skydeals pm me

• PRO
    Nuanez Custom Homes
    8 years ago

how do i send a private message ? Iam guessing thats what pm is

• James C
    8 years ago

This is exactly what we would like to get built at our new home. If you dont mind me asking...all together between the Pool & Lanai Roof what did that cost you. I am trying to put together a ruff estimate of what it will require.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Screened porch was put in 2006 and cost @$8k, pool was put in 2009 and cost was @$21k, pool cage was an extra $6700.. Hope this helps, I expect that prices have gone up since then.

• z69man1
    8 years ago

Who did your pavers and do you recommend them?

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

z69man1 please pm me.

• lisaloo2
    7 years ago

Hi, LOVE your pool! we are considering putting in a pool similar in size to yours, in the jax area. Could you tell us who your pool builder is? And did they also do the pavers? Screen? Is there anyone we should avoid? Thanks!

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

pm me

• lisaloo2
    7 years ago

Ok, I sent you a pm.....I think. (Hope I did that correctly)

• PRO
    Luke Pool Service
    7 years ago

As a pool builder. I see two construction mistakes in your pool.

1) The rebar is not 3" off the dirt. Though there is no picture showing this when the shotcrete is shot, but the pictures above do not represent that.

2) The pool was plastered well before the pool was suppose to be finished. Pool is suppose to sit under soaker hoses for 30 days while the shotcrete cures.

I hope your pool doesn't turn out with any problems. But if it does in the future, hopefully it isn't because of the above mentioned causes.

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, if you looks closer you will see where they put chips of pavers between the rebar and the dirt. I have other pics showing that.

I was concerned about the shotcrete curing for 30 days and I asked the PB however he assured me that 16 days was well enough for the concrete to cure. Our PB has been building pools for decades and we saw other pools he had built.

It is 7.5 years old and no problems. I would think if we were going to have issues we would have experienced them by now.

• bkrkp
    6 years ago

What color is your Pebble Tech?

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bkrkp, we do not have Pebble Tech. We have Pemix-Marbletite, Antigua, Beach Series

• kolo70
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the detailed information and photos. I am sorry if I missed the info but what is the size of the pool cage? Pool is 10x20 and is the Screened Room 16x20 or 19x20? Thank you

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pool is 10 x 20 and screened room is 16 x 20.

• kolo70
    6 years ago
    would you mind sharing the pool cage dimensions and where it came from? Thank you very much.
  • brentr_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The dimensions are not square so I am not sure how it will help you. The overall dimensions are about 40 ft x 40 ft. Let me see if the screen company is still in business. You can see additional pics here https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/133910-Our-New-Poolbuild-Jacksonville-FL-yr-2009

• brentr_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

kolo70, my screen person is still in business. His name is JT and you can reach him at 904-361-8174. Tell him that I referred you to him, also he is very busy but hopefully he can work you in for your job. Let me know how it goes.

• kolo70
    6 years ago
    Thank you so very much. At this point, I'm still exploring options.