Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdbath_gw

Infinity Edge pool construction - The Happy Ending

birdbath
15 years ago

Good morning pool forum friends,

THE PEBBLESHEEN TRUCK IS HERE!

I think I'm going to faint. We are actually doing the Pebblesheen today - this is so hard to believe. It will be one year this Friday since we signed the original contract. I am SO EXCITED, this is like Christmas :). They had called late Friday saying the Pebblesheen for today was canceled due to some problems with the height of the shotcrete on the Infinity Edge (you can imagine how well this went over with us). After much discussion, my husband and I were able to do the work ourselves on Saturday and keep the Pebblesheen schedule for today. All is well again.

Here's my first pictures for the day -

Comments (88)

• riesenschwimmer
    15 years ago

LOL! I am so happy for you. You have patiently waited for perfection. It is divine!

Francine

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

Yay!!!!!!!!

The color looks awesome already! I can't wait to see it full!

• donnawb
    15 years ago

The color is beautiful and can't blame the kids, they have been waiting a long time.

• jerseymom
    15 years ago

I'm an official Birdbathaholic!!! I have been faithfully following your story (my husband thinks I'm border line obssesive about it), and could not be happier for you & your family :)... It's really coming together and looking GREAT!! Keep the pictures coming...I need my birdbath fix ;)

• llcp93
    15 years ago

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L

The pebblesheen really compliments the blue geko ;)
    The more I see this little guy, the more I think I need a mosaic. Did you cut your own tiles or buy them? You might need to start a thread "How to Mosaic" for us copycats.

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

I think she may have dropped her camera in the water, due to the excitement.

• birdbath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, so SORRY! I cannot pull myself away from the WATER - WATER! It's 112 again today and couldn't resist just plunking my buns down smack in the middle of it. I'm going to be sitting out there all night, I can just see the headlines tomorrow " 45 year old pulled from pool a shriveled mess". It's going to get ugly :). OK, the water trucks have been here, but it is an agonizingly slow process. Three hours round trip between loads. AAAAAAUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. The driver will go until he drops, about 9 p.m. tonight. That means that the final load will come tomorrow morning. How much more can a birdbath take??????? Tomorrow morning? OK, so we'll have to wait to see the Infinity Edge. Sigh. In the meantime, we're still siphoning water from our well and the neighbors. We are SO going to owe him "Hey, can I borrow a cup of sugar and 10,000 gallons of water?". Gotta love it. Here's the latest pics. I've GOT to get back outside. By the way, this color is great - even with all of the major gooky coming out of the pipes from sitting for a year. Can't wait to see it after it clears up. Jerseymom - You crack me up! So sorry it took me a while to post....it's just the Coronas, and the sun, and the beautiful
    W-A-T-E-R. This whole process would just be so much simpler if all of you could just join me at the Blue Gecko bar and grill tonight!! I would love to have all of you here. We are having an impromptu party. Come on over! Oh.... and bring water..........

• ncrealestateguy
    15 years ago

BB, BB, BB!
    You did it! You have the nicest looking pool that I have ever seen! I just love the real rocks. The color is sweet, and so is your setting.
    More Pics!

• riesenschwimmer
    15 years ago

LOLOLOL!!!!! I figured Birdbath was taking a bird bath! Can't say I'd blame you --- 112 degres? Ouchie! Enjoy!

• momof3littleboys
    15 years ago

birdbath,

Your pool looks so beautiful. The water color is amazing. Please post some pics of your family enjoying it. That will really show a happy ending to your long story.

Your pool design is amazing. I can;t get over the level of detail. I have been trying to figure out the layout for quite a while. The pics you posted today with water definitely helped. I'm looking forward to seeing your next phases.

• cdavmd
    15 years ago

I just got home from work...and came straight to this site to finally see water in that long awaited pool. Congrats!! It looks so awesome, you definitely have the coolest, most unique pool I have ever seen. Your color looks great, but wait a few days you will see....I bet that water feels great...I remember those 112 degree days in Phoenix. How cold is the water that gets trucked in...ours here in MA arrived at 62 degrees. Well I understand you wanting to just sit and enjoy it. When you come up for air give us more pics. Enjoy my friend-you deserve it.

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

I absolutely love your water color! I can't wait to see it all running!

• tresw
    15 years ago

I don't know who you are, but you've got a lot of nerve coming here and posting your filling pool pics in Birdbath's thread!! How dare you! Oh wait, that IS Birdbath's pool filling with water???? :-)

• cdavmd
    15 years ago

ok...no sign her today....I think she was serious about sitting in there until she shriveled up. Anyone check the headlines yet? ....or local ER.

• birdbath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol!lol! Hello! :)
    A piece of advice to new pool owners -

YOU WILL BE TEMPTED TO PARTY UNTIL THE WEE HOURS OF THE NIGHT AFTER YOUR POOL IS COMPLETE. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SUCCUMB TO THIS TEMPTATION. :)

I'm finally alive again and the pool is FULL!! WHOO HOO! I climbed up a ladder (not easy today for a variety of reasons :)) to take these pics for all of you. We had to get all of the pumps running, my husband couldn't stand to wait for the plumber tomorrow. I, personally, would have just been content to sit in a dark, cool corner nursing my head with an aspirin and water :). We really love the Ocean Blue color. Earlier this morning it looked like a mirror out there, now the sun is directly overhead and it looks like a deep, clear blue. I wish all of you could come over and join us!

Here's the pic from the top step of the ladder...

My son enjoying the Infinity Edge......

This is the view standing down inside the BBQ kitchen....

• cdavmd
    15 years ago

I am uh....speechless.....absolutely spectacular. What an amazing pool. It really turned out gorgeous. Definitely should be on the cover of Luxury pool magazine.

Enjoy....sounds like you need a bloody mary....;)

• momofthreeboys
    15 years ago

OMG!
    That is just outstanding!! I have never seen anything like it. Breathtaking.

• jennifer_in_clyde
    15 years ago

Your pool is GORGEOUS!!!!

I've been reading along with your saga for the last couple weeks (catching up) - and I know it has been a LONG haul for you! This must feel incredible! Luckily the water helps soak away the angst of the pool building process (at least it did for me, hopefully it will for you as well).

• airborne101
    15 years ago

BB It is absolutely phenomenal !!!! I checked this morning and when I didn't see you post, I was hoping all was ok. Glad to hear its just a hangover, that will pass as you enjoy that gorgeous pool. I have seen many here in Vegas and that design on your site is perfect. Enjoy and go get that contractor's board to move their butts........ they owe you ! Barb

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

I am so happy for you! That is by far, one of, if not the prettiest pools I've ever seen! It was always difficult for me to tell what was what, but now that it's full I can easily see what you were describing.

Simply breathtaking! I think some hair of the dog is in order! And if you don't want to drink it, I have a lot of the real thing I can send you!

• tresw
    15 years ago

It all looks awesome, it's hard to come up with a proper expression after the long, hard road you've been down, but CONGRATS!!!!!!! The rock that juts into the pool with the water spilling over it looks fantastic! The rock waterfall in the middle of the infinity edge is really neat, I've never seen anything like that done before. It's so nice that you can enjoy it after all this time!

• jmck_nc
    15 years ago

Birdbath that is one outstanding pool. Next pool I build I'm stealing all of your design ideas! Thanks so much for sharing the process with us...painful as it was. We are all so happy to see your dream become a reality. Enjoy!
    Judy

• MidTNGal
    15 years ago

WOW! Spectacular!! Breathtaking! Gorgeous! Everyone has taken the words right out of my mouth! Man, what a pool! What a great day, huh! There's nothing better for a hangover than to just fall into the pool! Congratulations!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

this is my first post on your pool saga threads but I have been following it for the entire time, coming back to see if you had any progress and wow what a delight it was to see this thread and these spectacular pictures. I have to say one of the most beautiful pools I have seen. The design is so unique, I absolutely LOVE the gecko you did, so impressed that you did that yourself! What a long long wait you have had but man it sure was worth it! Now I look at my pool which till now I thought was pretty nice LOL and think humm oh that would look much better and yes that blue color is the way to go LOL I may see a pool makeover in my future.

Enjoy that pool, I know you will, it is definitely a keeper and should be on the cover of a magazine!

• donnawb
    15 years ago

Wow, it is a beauty. So happy that it all finally worked out. Now you can enjoy your pool after all the wait.

Please don't forget to go after the PB because I know that you wouldn't want anyone else to go through what you did.

• gracedunderpressure
    15 years ago

Just WOW! Ditto to what everyone else has said from another background follower! Gorgeous! So happy to see that you have finally gotten your beautiful dream pool completed!

Please keep us posted on what happens with the original builder - justice served would be the satisfying epilogue to your story!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Oh my, its beyond beautiful. I love the stone ledge spill over at the spa...as well as all your other incredible features. I'm jealous!!!

• banana_fanna
    15 years ago

Ditto to what everyone else is saying - they've used up all the good descriptives.

I will add one additional comment - Kids better be nice to mama. They owe ya. LOL.

Truly, they aren't aware yet of how this pool is going to enhance their lives until they're older. I didn't fully appreciate the time, money & effort my parents put into our pool until I had moved out and then, oh how I missed the pool!

Congratulations!

• mypoolisvintage
    15 years ago

That is one incredible pool. Wow.
    Absolutely beautiful. I love how it fits so seamlessly into the landscape. Congratulations to you! You certainly deserve it!

• cdavmd
    15 years ago

such a nice scene....I know exactly what you mean....I remember those early sunrises in AZ. There was just such a unique combination of sunlight, sky, earth, and even smell, and your photo captures that for me with your gorgeous water color and reflection....I do miss living out there. We lived in the North Mountain region....which mountain range is that in the distance? Bravo again....it all came together beautifully.

• moocat
    15 years ago

This pool is spectacular ! I absolutely LOVE the design and that pebble color !!!.... especically LOVE the negative edges... they just flow so nice ! What a great party pool ! A cold beer... a little swim... and an amazing sunset !! You have it all !!! Enjoy !!

• birdbath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cdavmd - Good morning! Those hills are part of the Estrella Mountain Range - in the southwest part of the valley. The North Mountain Range, where you lived, is beautiful, too!! We love going up to Pleasant Lake and the Cave Creek area. Very, very nice. When my husband and I met, we both owned our own homes down in the valley. We sold them when we got married and bought this land in the foothills. Our house is much older than the others you see in the background, but we love the view and being away from the mobs. We pretty much live on our back patio and I remember several years of just daydreaming about the pool and drawing designs in the sand. There used to be three little fruit trees where the pool is now. That was it! Oh, I forgot to answer your question earlier about the pool temperature. The water in the trucks was WARM - too warm, almost. It sat in that silver tanker in 112 degrees for a few hours between loads, so it heated up FAST before they dumped it in the pool. Our plumber is coming out today with the pool kit, so I don't have a thermometer. I'm guessing the water temp is about 78 - 80 degrees right now.

I just left you a message on your thread. :)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

I am so glad you posted those 2 new photos I was trying to show it to my husband and tell him about that fabulous gecko you did but it was not showing in the others on this post, I was going to have to go searching for it but you did manage to get it in the new picture! Just spectacular, I would be living out there in that pool! My husband was extremely impressed with it also. He was curious if it tends to cool off a lot at night and if you have to have a heater at all.
    WE are in the North Dallas area and our pool currently is in the 90's, it at times gets so hot it is more like a bath than a refreshing pool. WE do have a heater but have rarely ever used it, in the summer I think at times I would prefer having a cooler for it LOL. WE do have a water fall spa into the pool and that does actually help cool the water some.
    Keep on with those pictures!

• pooldazed
    15 years ago

Birdbath - I have been out here watching your journey and cheering for you. I have got to say that YOU put together a truly beautiful pool. As they say, "Once the water goes in, you forget the problems". Hopefully all your problems are behind you and there is nothing to do but accumulate great memories. Enjoy

• sharlanet
    15 years ago

As long as you're snapping pics, Birdbath, how about some night ones? Pretty please?! I just can't get enough of it!

• teppy
    15 years ago

birdbath, I too have been following this as alot of people here have. Your pool is so gorgeous. I know that you are already enjoying it. If I remember right, didn't that pb design it? If so, you really have to admit that it was almost worth it in the end. Look what you ended up with. I know you put up with alot of BS, but it sure turned out nice. And, post your water temp when you can. I think your water may be warmer than you think. I am in South Louisiana and its been in the low 90's here. My pool temp doesn't go below 85 degrees lately. In the afternoon its been between 89 and 90 degrees. Thats alright though, our pool was finished in mid November '07 and I just could not wait until it got warm enough to fianlly get in my pool. All I could do all winter is go out and have my margaritas in my chaise lounge sitting next to the pool. Atleast you can get in yours right away. Have fun.

• teddas
    15 years ago

Wow, I enjoyed this column as much as you did obtaining water!!! It really is perfect and luxurious! Enjoy it!
    CV

• dentiguy
    15 years ago

i am truly impressed and inspired by the type of design you have created for this magnificent pool, and am as well looking into having an infinity edge pool, i really would like to know the price this all added up to and the amount of time it took. if you can email me and tell me if u get a chance. cdjguy148@yahoo.com

the pool is spectacular.

• sdkath
    15 years ago

WOW! I just found this thread. Incredible! Katherine

• susan1404
    15 years ago

Your pool is STUNNING, beautiful, gorgeous!! I love your gecko, the bar stools, EVERYTHING!! I'm so sorry you had to go through so much to get to where you are, but you have the most fabulous pool EVER, so hopefully all that aggravation was worth it. Congratulations! Susan

• lovingstuff
    15 years ago

Birdbath,

I LOVE your pool and the view! I can relate to the staring out at the pool and the temptation to drink lots more cocktails on the patio--LOL!! Oh and the house remodel thing---we did the same thing, put the pool in first! Here is the good news--you will get so many compliments on the pool that your DH will be more lenient on the going over budget part, when you remodel!!

• sdkath
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting your pictures. I am not sure if you come back to this site anymore but your pool inspired our design and we are going to put that cool little pool into our design too. I spoke to our PB on Friday and he said it could be done!! YIPPPPEEEEE. I hope your pool makes it into one of those wonderful pool idea books!

Katherine

Here is our old pool design and below is my sketch of the new design. I put the elevated Baja shelf with spillover on the right and moved the fountain to the left by our existing patio! I can't wait to get started and post pix too!

{{!gwi}}

New design courtesy of your wonderful pool:

• drjay71
    15 years ago

Birdbath (or anyone with knowledge of this),

Could you please tell me how much it cost to build your pool? Do you think one could build this in a flat yard?

You can email me at jaynishpatel@aol.com

Thanks!

• sdkath
    15 years ago

I think it really depends on where it is located in the country. In San Diego, I am paying about twice the price of pools in TX and most of AZ....

By the way birdbath et al, I stole your idea and are in the midst of pool building too! Thanks! Katherine

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego Sunshine pool build

• drjay71
    15 years ago

so how much did your pool cost in San Diego?

i am in texas

• sameboat
    15 years ago

I am lurking here because it's freezing out and I'm dreaming of summertime. We don't have a pool. Your pool made me drool. It is just so cool! I've never seen anything like it.

• loves2read
    15 years ago

lovely pool and a lovely lady who designed it...a late post since I just found your sage (both threads) today.

Remember that in mythology the salamander (a close relative of your georgeous geckos) can live in and survive fire...surely you have come through a baptism of fire and will emerge, guarded by your two lively geckos, to
    live long, enjoy your own lagoon, and prosper, as Spock would say...
    actually I think you might have a future as a pool contractor...

• llcp93
    13 years ago

Here is one worth looking at again. Hope this works.
    BUMP!

• ahmadua_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

hey,
    I am reeally new to the infinity pool idea but am really into and would reeallyy luv to install 1 similar to this 1 or something as crazy as this. Pls help in anyway you can concerning cost and ideas.

thank you